3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 PM
bigylw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 04 Transmission Issues

Good morning to all. I have a problem with a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 that I bought not to long ago. Okay so here go... The truck was giving me P codes 0700 and 2706 putting me into limp mode. I went ahead and bought the solenoid block and while I was at it went and ahead and replaced the filters. I took everything apart and put it back together and since then I have not had any MIL. The problem I am having is that is slipping and at times jerks. I have also noticed that maybe the rpms may be a tad high. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:18 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure the pan filter is installed correctly? Had a truck that kept throwing the 700 code if it was put in gear to fast after starting. Would go into limp mode. Ended up swapping the trans for a used trans and havent had any problems since. Think it had a pump problem

Old 03-06-2018, 06:18 PM
bigylw

I'm more than certain the filter seal is flush but never hurts to check it again. I was thinking of doing a trans swap but dreading it lol. Thank you for your respone.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:40 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you use Mopar filters? Did you use Mopar ATF4? I ask because there are known issues with aftermarket filters not sealing or becoming cracked. Universal type ATF is also nfg. What happens is the oil pickup is starving the transmission and torque convertor. The symptoms you describe sound like exactly that. If were my truck, first thing is to drop the pan and redo both the filters. Do not just check the ones in there. Toss them. Put new ones in.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:28 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a TSB link that I recalled from other threads.
Dodge TSB

Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 PM
bigylw

Originally Posted by FaceDeAce
Did you use Mopar filters? Did you use Mopar ATF4? I ask because there are known issues with aftermarket filters not sealing or becoming cracked. Universal type ATF is also nfg. What happens is the oil pickup is starving the transmission and torque convertor. The symptoms you describe sound like exactly that. If were my truck, first thing is to drop the pan and redo both the filters. Do not just check the ones in there. Toss them. Put new ones in.
Thank you replying...No I used wix filters that I purchased from rockauto and for atf4 I used castrol. I'm thinking of dropping them this weekend coming up but haven't had the chance.

Quick Reply: 04 Transmission Issues