3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oi Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 04:26 PM
brentpaige
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oi Catch Can

Hey guys. I have read where you can’t install a Oil Catch Can on 3rd Gen Rams. They said the PCV is internal and you can’t install unless you do some drilling and modifying.

Well I might be dumb for doing this, but I installed one on my Ram. I ran the hose on the left side of the can to the port by the oil resevior and joined the right hose to the air intake hose that runs from the air intake filter to the oil resevoir.

I know it might not take in as much oil as running direct i to the intake cover, but I was lazy and didn’t want to drill if possible. Was I a complete idiot for doing this...? Lol

Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the purpose of doing this? What are you trying to do?

Old 03-05-2018, 01:02 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by FaceDeAce
What is the purpose of doing this? What are you trying to do?
Keeps oil blow by from reaching the intake. There's always some oil coming back through the crankcase ventilation system. It depends on the amount and how hard you drive the car. Generally speaking, not very useful on a stock engine but the worst it can do is cost you some money for the part.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 PM
brentpaige
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think the way I ran it will work?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:54 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Keeps oil blow by from reaching the intake. There's always some oil coming back through the crankcase ventilation system. It depends on the amount and how hard you drive the car. Generally speaking, not very useful on a stock engine but the worst it can do is cost you some money for the part.
The PVC and evap systems are setup to take care of all that. If there is a concerning amount of oil ending up in the intake, there are problems that need attention.
I suppose, whatever makes folks feel good about mods to their ride. This one is a complete waste of time and money, imho. No real harm done other than now there is an added can to empty that will probably just fill up with snot and potentially lead to a clogged PVC system. No appreciable good could come of this.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 03-06-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Oi Catch Can