3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalytic converter/Drive Cycle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:36 PM
pystryker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter/Drive Cycle?

Hello all

I own a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 v6 and recently had both catalytic converters replaced. The codes were cleared when they were replaced. I picked up my vehicle on Monday. But on Friday afternoon of the the same week, the check engine light came back on. I took it back to the shop and the mechanic said it was showing the right convertor was burned up.

He thought that something else was wrong with my truck that had messed up the new convertor, but the only code showing was the convertor. The other mechanic said that this happens some times and it some times takes a while driving and clearing the code for the computer to know there's new parts and to stop coming on and that it could do this a few times.

They cleared the code, and said come back if the check engine light came back on. It came back on again tonight, 4 days after being cleared. I'd like to believe that they're right considering the money I spent getting this done.

Wouldn't the check engine light have come on a lot sooner than 4 days after being cleared if the convertor really had been burned up? Also, wouldn't there be another code showing instead of just the convertor? I'm looking for confirmation about the drive cycle as well. Does it take this long for it to stop coming back on?

Thank you all in advance for any responses, and have a great day!

Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

What is the exact code? There is no specific code for the converter, only the post-cat O2 sensor, which monitors converter efficiency.....

Old 03-07-2018, 07:41 AM
pystryker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
What is the exact code? There is no specific code for the converter, only the post-cat O2 sensor, which monitors converter efficiency.....
Hello, thank you for the response.

I'm going to the mechanic this morning to get the code checked. I'll post it as soon as I can get it from him.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:08 AM
pystryker

I believe the mechanic solved the problem this morning. When he hooked it up to the computer, he could not get any reading. He put the truck up and looked and found a ground wire touching one of the O2 sensors. When they removed the ground wire from it and then re-checked, they were able to read everything and it shows everything is functioning perfectly. So it looks like it was a simple case of the O2 sensor being grounded out and no information could be read from it.

I appreciate your reply, and I appreciate your trying to help me. :-)

Old 03-07-2018, 11:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Glad you got it figured out.

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter/Drive Cycle?