3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't start help! P0420

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:10 PM
joulian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start help! P0420

Hey Guys! Been a while, thank goodness... no troubles.

06 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

last week my truck check engine light popped up and then went out a couple of times. Didn't sweat it to much. UNTIL it didn't start after I went to a store. I thought it was out of gas even though a had about 1/8 a tank. Little odd... I came back 3 hrs later hit key and started right up. Checked codes P0420 catalysis system low ( or something like that ).

I replaced from exhaust manifolds back to muffler Thursday. Ran fine all day yesterday all day today got home went to go to a store and it wouldn't crank. I came back an hour later it started. NO CODES present.

I have a lot of important things this week I need the truck to be working as I ll be pulling a little equipment around around Tuesday.

It seems to be a sensor that has deteriorated and doesn't work when hot. But not throwing a code.

I did a tune up last year. It runs perfect other than this thing that is happening. I have an Iphone OBD2 code checker.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:55 AM
FCA Master

Scope the crank sensor when cold and then when hot. The vehicle won't start without a crank signal. You will get an extended crank then start if the cam sensor goes out.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:21 PM
joulian

Originally Posted by FCA Master
Scope the crank sensor when cold and then when hot. The vehicle won't start without a crank signal. You will get an extended crank then start if the cam sensor goes out.
How do you scope the crank sensor?

Old 04-23-2018, 06:46 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

It's a diagnostic test. I agree that your problem is likely a crank sensor.
Consider just replacing the crank sensor. They're inexpensive, easy to replace, and if you haven't done it yet you're overdue.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:47 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, My '05 crank position sensor was failing intermittently. If you change it make sure you clean out any rust that may keep it from pulling out. Even scraping as much crud out as I could, it still took some time working the sensor back and forth before it finally gave up. I read too many stories of how some had broken the sensor off off in the hole. The NAPA replacement has been fine since.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start help! P0420