3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replace Shocks With Ball-Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:12 PM
RamMike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Shocks With Ball-Joints?

My lower ball joint on the passenger side is very squeaky so I'm going to replace it.
The one on the driver's side isn't squeaking, but it looks the same and has the same completely deteriorated boot with visible rust inside so I'm going to replace it, too.

My question is, from the video provided, does it look like I need to replace the shocks, as well?
I don't know if it's an old myth or not, but I was told way back, that if you bounce on the vehicle it should stop on the rebound and not bounce again. Can anyone tell me if that's still true and/or if these need replaced?

Also, will it be easier to replace the shock since I'm already replacing the ball joint, or is it the same amount of work, either way?

The squeak is from the ball joint. Thanks!!

Old 04-23-2018, 09:50 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shocks should be changed every 20,000 to 30,000 miles, depending on road conditions, and how you drive. I don't know anybody that does, including myself. When they get worn out it will feel like your riding in a boat. Just constant up and down. Yours are worn, I've seen worse by far. but it's your discretion wether you want to change them. I would while you already have the tire off. And you don't have to, but I usually do all four corners at once.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:02 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

are you sure the squeak is a ball joint and not a c/a bushing?
if the truck stops jouncing within 1- 1.5 ocillations after you stop pushing; its probably ok. i also do a test drive and do a fairly hard stop, it'll dive but the jounce rebound should be stop 1-2 ocillations.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 PM
RamMike

Originally Posted by primem
are you sure the squeak is a ball joint and not a c/a bushing?.
Yes, I used a stethoscope to hone in on the culprit.
Thanks for the info!

Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 AM
mopar4u
Professional

Ive never had much luck with the whole jounce technique to check shocks. This is when i replace shocks: if ive had the vehicle since the shocks were new or almost new ill monitor for oil leakage and replace if they leak or if i dont know the history of the shocks ill simply pull them out and actuate them by hand or if the upper or lower bushings are cracked/junk i will replace the shocks. If you still have stock front shocks just replace them, no need to diagnose.

My 05 ram has the torsion bar setup so its ridiculously easy to pull the bottom bolt out of the shock and actuate the shock with the top still attached. Some will say if youve gone this far just replace them.

go with a decent truck shock (bilstein or rancho). Dont go with the cheapest entry level garbage cause youll be doing them again in a few months.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:29 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same still holds true. no bounce on rebound your good, bounce on rebound replace shocks. Always do both sides so they are even.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocks are so easy, you may as well do them, too.

Quick Reply: Replace Shocks With Ball-Joints?