3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust extension pipe loose.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 02:11 PM
JSMCO
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust extension pipe loose.

2008 1500 Bighorn 5.7 Hemi. Stock single exhaust. I could hear a rattle under my truck and what has happened is the exhaust pipe has come loose at the first clamp after the two pipes converge into one, and the pipe has slid back about an inch and is loose. Is there any reason I can't just wiggle the whole exhaust back forward and re-clamp it? Are there any tricks such as putting some lube on the hangers where they slide through the rubber insulators or will that damage them? I was thinking maybe just using some Dawn Dish Soap. Can I re-use the existing clamp or should I grab a new one, the existing one looks pretty crudded up.

Also now that I have an excuse to work on the exhaust, I am thinking about a new muffler to improve the sound. I have a short dual-ram intake with 2 K&N cone filters. I don't want it to be window-shaking, ear splittingly loud like a Harley, just a better rumble than now. Would you guys suggest a straight through or a Multi-chamber? Same length as the stock muffler or shorter? I am looking at the MagnaFlow site and just not sure which type or model might be best. I can't spend $700 for the whole cat-back system so it would be muffler only. If I did decide to replace the muffler, would it make a big difference to leave the resonator in place or would leaving it in defeat the purpose of the new muffler? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy a new exhaust clamp. Muffler change will make a good bit of deffernce. Most options if not all will be shorter then factory. Leaving the resonator will keep it quiet. Had a magnaflow 40 put on a ram with 4.7 and it had a good bit of rumble. Also had a fm 40 put on a 5.7 ram with the resonator left on, it sounded like stock down low and high up it had a little more rumble. I would put on the muffler of your choice and give it a drive and decide from there. Loud exhaust is nice for a month or 2 then gets kinda annoying for most, not for me tho.

Quick Reply: Exhaust extension pipe loose.