3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Head Unit but keep Factory satelite

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 PM
rob0225
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Head Unit but keep Factory satelite

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. I have lifetime satellite on my satellite service and want to keep it.

Is there anyway to upgrade to a double din radio but keep the factory sat receiver? In the end it's just an input from the box to the head unit right? Just need to make sure the right connections are used?

Secondly I upgraded my jump seat to a newer style and it has USB connectors. RIght know the wiring isn't hooked up. I'm not sure how. Is there anyway to use those to hook a iPhone for music to one of those?

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:19 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

You can transfer your existing satellite service to your new head unit (as long as new unit is satellite-capable). Sirius transfers can be done online.
I recommend that you get a radio with apple car play; you won't need to worry about usb connections, and almost all of car play radios are satellite ready.
Car Play radios are more expensive than others. You can also get iPhone compatible head units that work very well with iPhones, and no need for wires.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:58 PM
rob0225
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrsick
You can transfer your existing satellite service to your new head unit (as long as new unit is satellite-capable). Sirius transfers can be done online.
I recommend that you get a radio with apple car play; you won't need to worry about usb connections, and almost all of car play radios are satellite ready.
Car Play radios are more expensive than others. You can also get iPhone compatible head units that work very well with iPhones, and no need for wires.
I didn't ask if i could transfer my subscription...I know I can. I want to use my current xm receiver.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:27 AM
sbenja2003
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
I didn't ask if i could transfer my subscription...I know I can. I want to use my current xm receiver.
I installed a double din in my 07 and had to add the satellite receiver to it. The factory satellite is built into the factory stereo so there is no way to keep it and you will have to replace the antenna too.

Quick Reply: New Head Unit but keep Factory satelite