3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Automatic Headlights 2007 Dodge Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 07:48 PM
darrollr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Headlights 2007 Dodge Ram?

Is it possible to pull an automatic headlamp switch and sun load sensor from a 2005+ Dodge Dakota and install it into my 2007 Dodge Ram 3500? I know the switch is an exact fit and the wire pin out is the same but I don’t know if the sun load sensor can be used in conjunction to make the system a working automatic headlight system. I am wondering and hoping that it may be an easy upgrade like adding fog lights with the preexisting wiring.

I know that there is always the option of installing the 545T Nite-Lite aftermarket automatic headlight system, but I would rather use the factory switch with the “A” setting.

This is my current switch:

The 2005-2011 Dodge Dakota has this switch as an option:

I know that a lot of people don’t care about automatic headlamps but I would like to have them. Has anyone else done this or know if it will work or not?

Last edited by darrollr; 10-25-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

According to what manuals I have access to, no. Both run on different computer systems. And how the auto headlights work isn't as simple as you think.
i could be wrong as I have limited written information for the Dakotas.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:07 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Also interested, not sure if this is something you'd be interested in either but my 06 seems to have the driving light feature not quite the same but...

Old 10-28-2018, 05:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Also interested, not sure if this is something you'd be interested in either but my 06 seems to have the driving light feature not quite the same but...
I could be wrong on this completely as I only have limited literature on the Dakotas. But they seem to have different operating systems. And the light sensor is very complicated (it's basically a switch). And unlike the old days switches got complicated
Basically the light sensor tells the CTM that it is dark out. The CTM waits for that trigger and the trigger of the headlight switch being on automatic. Then it turns on the headlights. You both might be able to use the light section sensor and wow it directly to the headlight switch, but there is a chance it won't work.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:22 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

wondering if one could wire a daylight sensor of some sort to a relay then doubles back to the headlight switch triggering the lights or even go to the level using the "auto" switch to control said light sensor/relay setup but im not up on how complicated everything has been made is a headlight switch a switch at all anymore or just **** attached to a computer board? Would the CTM noticed the correct switch has not been installed

Old 11-05-2018, 11:37 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
wondering if one could wire a daylight sensor of some sort to a relay then doubles back to the headlight switch triggering the lights or even go to the level using the "auto" switch to control said light sensor/relay setup but im not up on how complicated everything has been made is a headlight switch a switch at all anymore or just **** attached to a computer board? Would the CTM noticed the correct switch has not been installed
The CTM doesn't what switch is installed so to speak. You could use the Auto headlight wires and wire up something and it should work. You will basically have it as a switch instead of the complicated system Dodge used. Message member SHO Rod (he hangs out in the 4th Gen Ram section) and he could figure out how to wire it. He's a wiz as wiring.

Quick Reply: Automatic Headlights 2007 Dodge Ram?