3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil on the air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 11:18 PM
verno316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on the air filter

I have an 06 Hemi. Changed the air filter today (way overdue) and there is oil on it. It is coming in from the breather hose. Also I notice that when the truck is cold or when I have just changed the oil, that the oil pressure gauge is at the top level of what appears to be the "safe" zone if that sounds right? There are no codes and the truck seems to be running fine though it does seem to be losing oil but nothing over the 1 qt per oil change

Old 10-31-2018, 04:36 AM
swamper
Veteran

Found this hope it helps.

Oil in the air filter is an indication that there’s a blow-by problem. The first culprit to check is the PCV valve. These are vital components, but they can get blocked up pretty easily, especially if you’re working on a higher mileage engine (though it’s not uncommon to see blocked PCV valves on trucks with less than 100,000 miles). Check the valve operation and for blockage in the PCV system as a whole. If it is blocked or only semi-functional, replacing the valve and cleaning the system is usually all that’s necessary to fix the situation.

Other Potential Issues

If the problem doesn’t lie with the PCV valve, then there’s something more sinister causing the issue. Usually, this is a sign of bad piston rings, something common in truck engines for sale that were sitting to long. To verify this, you’ll need to do a cylinder compression test on all cylinders. In most cases, you’ll need to tear down the engine and replace the piston rings (you might as well do them all if you’re going to do one or two as well). You might also consider replacing the bearings while you’re in there, as you’ll have the engine apart anyway.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:19 AM
verno316

Thanks for the response Swamper. I wondered about the PCV but I keep reading that it's behind the throttle body. There is a hose going from the oil filler tube across the engine into the side of the air box. That's where the oil is dripping in. Would a bad PCV valve cause the pressure to force the oil through that way or is there another valve in that hose? I also checked the door sticker tonight for a different reason and while it's registered as an 06 the manufacture date says 10-05 if that has any bearing on the PCV location

Quick Reply: Oil on the air filter