3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3RD Gen New Headlamp Assy Now Lamp Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 05:30 PM
KBRam04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3RD Gen New Headlamp Assy Now Lamp Out

04 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab. Installed new headlamp assy on right and left. Truck cranked and headlamps or just parking lights on, no alarm or lamp out light. When you turn on the signals or hazards then the alarm comes on and the lamp out light is blinking. If you touch the brake the alarms go off and the lamp out blinking stops. No problems at all if you dont turn on the headlamps. I just cant have headlamps and signals unless I touch the brake. I have replaced both headlamp assy's, both taillight connector boards, and all external lamps to include the CHMSL. Tag lamps also. No led's. I was going to change the flasher, brake switch, and possibly the headlamp switch. I'm going to check all the new lights and make sure everything is still burning. Lets hear it guys! I dont want to start throwing parts at my truck. Any information, troubleshooting procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:27 PM
Chris Radley

I would beg/borrow a scanner that will check codes that a normal cheap scanner will not. I am betting you have FCM/BCM codes that will require a more expensive scanner to see.

Start looking at Fuse box (IPM) connections that plug into the bottom of it and the FCM/BCM that is bolted to it and has a large rectangle connection.

Search Ebay or Google for pictures of Dodge Ram FCM, BCM, and IPM to see picture of them so you know what modules to look for.

Chris.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:21 AM
KBRam04

Thank you Chris for the reply. I have a super-chips flash-cal F5 and it hasn't shown a code so far. Do you think I need to have it scanned by the auto shop? I have also noticed with the signal on it blinks a little faster than with the hazards on.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Chris Radley

I believe you need a scanner that will scan individual modules for errors.

I have a super chips programmer and it will not see all the codes that my Vident iLink 400 will. It was inexpensive at $135.00 bucks and does some dealer level tests like TCM quick learn and other stuff.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:18 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KBRam04
04 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab. Installed new headlamp assy on right and left. Truck cranked and headlamps or just parking lights on, no alarm or lamp out light. When you turn on the signals or hazards then the alarm comes on and the lamp out light is blinking. If you touch the brake the alarms go off and the lamp out blinking stops. No problems at all if you dont turn on the headlamps. I just cant have headlamps and signals unless I touch the brake. I have replaced both headlamp assy's, both taillight connector boards, and all external lamps to include the CHMSL. Tag lamps also. No led's. I was going to change the flasher, brake switch, and possibly the headlamp switch. I'm going to check all the new lights and make sure everything is still burning. Lets hear it guys! I dont want to start throwing parts at my truck. Any information, troubleshooting procedures would be greatly appreciated.
Going on memory. There should be a small wiring connector harness on new light. That could be the problem. Try using the wiring connector from old light assembly. Good Luck

Edit... Thinking a little more on this. The pins in the new headlight assembly signal socket could be configured in wrong position. Try using signal socket from old light assembly. I had similar problem with TYC I installed. Hopefully you have old lights still

Last edited by big guy; 12-29-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:52 PM
KBRam04

Ordered new mopar front signal sockets and installed. Because I had thrown the old ones away. Cured all the lamp out issues. Thanks for the info!!!

Last edited by KBRam04; 01-19-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 3RD Gen New Headlamp Assy Now Lamp Out