TCC Solenoid CEL with P0740/P0700 - What Next?? - Page 2 - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

TCC Solenoid CEL with P0740/P0700 - What Next??

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TCC Solenoid CEL with P0740/P0700 - What Next??

Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TrueDogman View Post
Fanatic....dont understand your post. My truck does not have an issue! ? OP truck may have this issue tho.....
I quoted you to let you know it gets the temp from the tranny not the engine :b

Old 01-11-2019, 02:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by laptopps View Post
Sincerely hope that that is the problem. Wondering if it would be best to pay an hour to the Dodge Stealer (ummmm.... I mean dealer) to have them diagnose which wire is the issue. I think that might be it as there have been a couple of other wires that possibly had some mice that had a little after midnight snack. The tell tale sign?? Mice poop in on the top of the engine!

Would it be a fairly easy thing for me to troubleshoot?? Is the wire relatively straightforward?? I am researching right now where the stinkin' wire is located on the 545rfe. I'll find it! Ha Ha!~

THANK YOU SO much for your help!
Go to a Mom and Pop shop that does transmissions. They usually have a scan tool (and cheaper then the dealer) and see if they can help. Now you can buy the internal transmission harness, but that won't help if you have a bad wire going to the transmission. Best thing so you aren't wasting money is too buy a multimeter and check every wire going to the transmission. Also check the connector on the transmission they sometimes get bent or corroded.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM
TrueDogman
Professional

I was curious and did a tad of research. Appears the trans temp sensor is inside trans. Requires removal of valve body to get at it....I think I would start by checking external wiring first so you dont have to drain fluid yet again....fingers crossed lol

Old 01-12-2019, 01:33 AM
laptopps

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
Go to a Mom and Pop shop that does transmissions. They usually have a scan tool (and cheaper then the dealer) and see if they can help. Now you can buy the internal transmission harness, but that won't help if you have a bad wire going to the transmission. Best thing so you aren't wasting money is too buy a multimeter and check every wire going to the transmission. Also check the connector on the transmission they sometimes get bent or corroded.
Originally Posted by TrueDogman View Post
I was curious and did a tad of research. Appears the trans temp sensor is inside trans. Requires removal of valve body to get at it....I think I would start by checking external wiring first so you dont have to drain fluid yet again....fingers crossed lol
MoparFanatic21 I love the idea of a mom and pop shop as it really does help out small business and they would probably care a bit better. In trying to determine the wires that are bad, would you start with a visual check and if all seemed to be OK, then use my multimeter in Ohms/resistance setting and try to test every wire?? I kind of assume yes. Will check EVERYTHING!

And TrueDogman THANK YOU so much for the research and the temp sensor inside the transmission. This would be the 3rd time draining the transmission fluid. Kind of gets expensive so I like the idea of wires first. To both of you... would I just put one looooong wire on one side of the multimeter and use the other probe to check continuity?? Probably need to have two people to do this efficiently, right?? And, of course, one side of the harness is at the transmission...where is the other side?? Up in the engine compartment?? At the fuse box?? At the main ECM?? TCM?? Or just try to follow it visually??

Thank you guys for the help... I am very grateful!

Old 01-12-2019, 01:56 AM
MoparFanatic21
Record Breaker

MoparFanatic21 I love the idea of a mom and pop shop as it really does help out small business and they would probably care a bit better. In trying to determine the wires that are bad, would you start with a visual check and if all seemed to be OK, then use my multimeter in Ohms/resistance setting and try to test every wire?? I kind of assume yes. Will check EVERYTHING!

And TrueDogman THANK YOU so much for the research and the temp sensor inside the transmission. This would be the 3rd time draining the transmission fluid. Kind of gets expensive so I like the idea of wires first. To both of you... would I just put one looooong wire on one side of the multimeter and use the other probe to check continuity?? Probably need to have two people to do this efficiently, right?? And, of course, one side of the harness is at the transmission...where is the other side?? Up in the engine compartment?? At the fuse box?? At the main ECM?? TCM?? Or just try to follow it visually??

Thank you guys for the help... I am very grateful!
The wiring harness starts at the PCM then goes to a connector on the transmission and then goes inside. I would do a visual inspection and then continue to the multimeter. If all wires check out good you either have a bad PCM or a bad sensor in the transmission. Worst case is a bad transmission which I HIGHLY DOUBT. What I would do is connect a wire to the battery negative and run it to where you can connect the negative probe of your multimeter to it and the the positive side to check the wires. You may have to remove wire loom to see all the wires.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:32 AM
TrueDogman
Professional

I think I would keep it simple first and try to do a real good visual inspection. Identify the wires at the transmission (or at least some of them) and try to follow them back towards the PCM. Watch for certain areas in the loom that might be more prone to failure like closer to heat, corrosion areas or near top of engine where the mice decided to hang out. Might find some messed up wiring you can repair without using a multimeter ??
These are tough without a schematic
Then again maybe were barking up the wrong tree but its worth the effort in my opinion

Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 AM
laptopps

Wanted to give you guys an update (I have been at the fire station A LOT and haven't had the time to look in depth until now). The wiring harnesses look pretty good and I have tried to trace the wiring as far as possible. It is really hard to follow it all the way. I went to a mom and pop shop and they are going to work to diagnose it by watching all the shift patterns and slippage when the torque converter locks up. Wasn't able to get the converter to lock on the 10 minute drive that he did and I am going to bring it back for a longer test on MLK holiday. The owner stated that the shift patterns look really good. I will totally keep you updated. I, like you guys, strongly think that it is a circuit issue and not a torque converter issue. I will let the diagnosing happen but if it is a "you need a new torque converter and should rebuild the tranny at the same time." I might work for a second opinion.

Those wiring harnesses are HUGE and tracing the wires looks to be a royal pain in the butt! Going to take another look tomorrow and see if I can see anything else missed yesterday.

Thanks again for your time!

Old 01-17-2019, 02:59 AM
TrueDogman
Professional

Thats just it...The TCC isnt going to lock up no matter how much its driven because the electrical signal isnt being received properly by the shift solenoid.
Years ago when TCC first originated many people didnt like how they performed. I know people who installed a switch where the driver could control when the TCC would activate.
You dont happen to have any switches in the drivers area that dont seem to do anything ?

Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 AM
MoparFanatic21
Record Breaker

Wanted to give you guys an update (I have been at the fire station A LOT and haven't had the time to look in depth until now). The wiring harnesses look pretty good and I have tried to trace the wiring as far as possible. It is really hard to follow it all the way. I went to a mom and pop shop and they are going to work to diagnose it by watching all the shift patterns and slippage when the torque converter locks up. Wasn't able to get the converter to lock on the 10 minute drive that he did and I am going to bring it back for a longer test on MLK holiday. The owner stated that the shift patterns look really good. I will totally keep you updated. I, like you guys, strongly think that it is a circuit issue and not a torque converter issue. I will let the diagnosing happen but if it is a "you need a new torque converter and should rebuild the tranny at the same time." I might work for a second opinion.

Those wiring harnesses are HUGE and tracing the wires looks to be a royal pain in the butt! Going to take another look tomorrow and see if I can see anything else missed yesterday.

I don't believe this to be mechanical. I'll tell you a story what happened to my 01 Ram (2nd gen). I did routine maintenance and changed the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. The previous owner took all the wire loom off. So I drive it the next day and 4 minutes into the drive I'm in link mood with no Lockup and starting in 2nd gear and didn't have 4th. Changed the sensors and it didn't help. Took it to a local mom and pop shop and they said that the tranny wasn't get power for the TC Lockup. I looked that day and found a wire that broke next to the distributor that I must have cut with it when taking it out. Now another bigger shop said I needed a rebuild, and I got a second opinion and the mom and pop shop was very nice and told me they doubt it's a mechanical issue.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Ram05red
Amateur

Hey Laptopps I'm having the same problem with my 05 1500 4.7. I've done the same thing as you by changing the fluid and filter. Took her for a drive on the highway and the same code came back. I have a friend at the dealership who is telling me what to do for it and that was the 1st thing he said do.Now I have to go back to him and see what he says next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TCC Solenoid CEL with P0740/P0700 - What Next??

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: