3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loud ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Mark_M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud ticking noise

Hi everyone,
‘I’m having a very loud ticking noise, gets louder when accelerating. Any suggestions what’s cause it? Not sure if it’s exhaust manifold leak or something else.

Video

Old 02-17-2019, 05:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_M
Hi everyone,
‘I’m having a very loud ticking noise, gets louder when accelerating. Any suggestions what’s cause it? Not sure if it’s exhaust manifold leak or something else.

Video
https://youtu.be/n_40ZAJR_R4
That could be an exhaust leak. Best thing to do is let the engine cool completely. Then start it and run your hand around the manifolds and see if you can feel air. If you do it's an exhaust leak. Or you can use soapy water and watch for bubbles. They also could be the famous Hemi tick

Old 02-17-2019, 07:35 PM
Mark_M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply! Good advice on how to check for a leak.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:57 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe I counted two missing exhaust manifold bolts in your video. Broken bolts thus exhaust leak. Funny thing is your noise doesnt sound like an exhaust leak to me. More like valve train noise. Might just be sound of video tho....

Old 02-22-2019, 12:35 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In your short video, I see at least two exhaust manifold bolts that are sheared off. That is your tick. Leaking exhaust manifold. There are many many many posts and threads about broken exhaust manifold bolts on the hemi. Some searches, some reading, some youtube videos, and you will soon have a plan to get your tick sorted out.
What you have there in the video is definitely exhaust manifold leak tick.

PS: The other "hemi-tick"s mentioned are on a well tuned perfectly running hemi and you are under the hood and hear ticking. Those ticks are the fuel injectors firing. Completely different and completely normal.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 02-22-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Loud ticking noise