3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starter Disengages Before Startup

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:57 PM
ItsRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Disengages Before Startup

I have a 2003 4.7 L 1500 and I just recently replaced the starter and installed a block heater but still have a problem. It has been -20 the last few weeks and my original starter began acting up. I can turn my key, cycle the computer, but when I went to crank, the starter would engage for a quick second then disengage. Eventually I could get it to start after messing with it for 10 minutes in the cold. After putting up with this for a while I replaced the starter thinking that the cold killed it. While doing so I pulled the battery to check the charge on it and everything checked out.

After replacing the starter I thought the problem would be solved but I went to go crank it the next morning I had the same issue. (One fact I forgot to mention earlier, if I start it once in the day, it will not have the issue for 8-9 hours later) Thinking this issue might be caused by the extreme cold, I installed a lower radiator hose block heater. The next morning, same problem! The key turns, lights come on, gauges cycle I go to turn the key and hear the starter go then after half second it pulls out.(I cannot keep running the starter after this either, I have to reset the computer before trying again).
I hope you guys have some ideas for something I might be getting wrong. Help is much appreciated. If any of you guys would be interested in watching a video of the problem so you can hear it, email me at seekellbeast@gmail.com and I can get a video sent as I am new and don’t know how to post one. Thank you!

Old 03-02-2019, 11:47 PM
SnowBeast428
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsRam
I have a 2003 4.7 L 1500 and I just recently replaced the starter and installed a block heater but still have a problem. It has been -20 the last few weeks and my original starter began acting up. I can turn my key, cycle the computer, but when I went to crank, the starter would engage for a quick second then disengage. Eventually I could get it to start after messing with it for 10 minutes in the cold. After putting up with this for a while I replaced the starter thinking that the cold killed it. While doing so I pulled the battery to check the charge on it and everything checked out.

After replacing the starter I thought the problem would be solved but I went to go crank it the next morning I had the same issue. (One fact I forgot to mention earlier, if I start it once in the day, it will not have the issue for 8-9 hours later) Thinking this issue might be caused by the extreme cold, I installed a lower radiator hose block heater. The next morning, same problem! The key turns, lights come on, gauges cycle I go to turn the key and hear the starter go then after half second it pulls out.(I cannot keep running the starter after this either, I have to reset the computer before trying again).
I hope you guys have some ideas for something I might be getting wrong. Help is much appreciated. If any of you guys would be interested in watching a video of the problem so you can hear it, email me at seekellbeast@gmail.com and I can get a video sent as I am new and don’t know how to post one. Thank you!
To me it sounds like a computer or starter solenoid/relay issue. I'd check that as it sounds like its getting power then the computer shuts it off likely due to sensing an error.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:26 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Be sure to check your battery is at least 12.4v, and doesn't drop below 10v during start.
If battery is good, and starter is good, then it is probably starter relay or ignition switch.
You could also check the starter ring to ensure there is even wear and no teeth missing.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:31 PM
ItsRam

Originally Posted by SnowBeast428
To me it sounds like a computer or starter solenoid/relay issue. I'd check that as it sounds like its getting power then the computer shuts it off likely due to sensing an error.
I’ll look into how to do that. Thanks! How would you best go about checking the computer side of it? I’m going to look up the solenoid/relay part.

Last edited by ItsRam; 03-04-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:33 PM
ItsRam

Originally Posted by jrsick
Be sure to check your battery is at least 12.4v, and doesn't drop below 10v during start.
If battery is good, and starter is good, then it is probably starter relay or ignition switch.
You could also check the starter ring to ensure there is even wear and no teeth missing.
I’ll check into that. We don’t think it’s the battery because we tested that earlier but if I can get it started today, I’ll take it to oriellys and have them test it with a load. What do you mean by starter ring? The teeth on the starter and the flywheel?

Old 03-04-2019, 12:38 PM
ItsRam

Also as an update: last night I was able to replace the 2nd starter with another one from Oriellys. Now with a total of 3 starters, all of them having the same problem I definitely think it is something else, electrical (either in the battery or wiring) or on the computer or ignition.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:22 PM
ItsRam
Default Eureka!

Originally Posted by SnowBeast428
Thank you snow beast! I think the starter relay was the issue. I will update you guys tomorrow to help anyone else with this issue out. I replaced it for $10. Put the key in and held it on the forward position and I could actually hear it continue to spin. So pretty cheap and simple fix.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:39 PM
ItsRam
Default Update:

alright another update. Today even after replacing the solenoid relay yesterday when I went to start it in the morning it was very chuggy and didn’t start. So I hooked up our Dodge Durango battery to it and tried starting it (thinking it might be the battery) and nothing changed. This evening I tinkered with it a little bit and we eliminated the ignition wire and the solenoid relay by directly wiring the battery to the ignition switch on the starter. I just held the wires together with the key in the on position and it started up fine. So tomorrow I will see if when it doesn’t start the problem is somewhere in the wiring or computer of the ignition or relay by doing that again.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:45 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I think my next step would be the ignition switch. Determine the appropriate wires and jumper right at the ignition switch connector

Old 03-06-2019, 10:21 AM
SnowBeast428
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
I think my next step would be the ignition switch. Determine the appropriate wires and jumper right at the ignition switch connector
These trucks are highly electronically controlled so i still think its an issue with power being cut due to some issue. Have someone else with a multimeter check connections to see if power suddenly cuts out unexpectedly while cranking but be careful due to the belts or shorting or fan. I'd check the switch solenoid and relay as while they may work on their own when directly on battery the computer is likely saying NOPE as the "fault" conditions for cutting power can be set to instances that really aren't issues.

Quick Reply: Starter Disengages Before Startup