3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mystery wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 11:58 AM
THRobinson
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery wire

Still having some startup issues... now that the snow is gone and getting warmer here in Canada I can actually start troubleshooting.

Saw a YouTube vid, someone had the same issue (truck starts, runs 2 seconds, dies. No sputtering, coughing, smoke. Runs fine for 2 seconds then dies) and in his case it was a bad battery connection.

Popped the hood and had a look and connection looks ok, though no idea how good the wiring is inside the plastic sleeve. However, there is a wire, about 10" long, a bit coiled with a spade connector on the end, just there... can't see where it should go, no idea what it's for... maybe the issue?

Anyone know where the mystery wire goes?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:42 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

I don't know what it is but it's not factory because OEMs don't use those spade connectors.
Follow the wire and see where it goes. It was likely something the previous owner added.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Thats not factory. Agree with the above advise. Follow the wire and see where it goes.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM
THRobinson
Rookie

I think it goes there, like, spliced in at that spot, wrapped around the cable a few times and just dangles.

The white one has a spade connector going to the terminal, so thought this one went somewhere as well, but, just there. Worried they may have damaged the harness splicing it in.

I don't have a pic (raining right now, will get it later) but there is also a yellow "mystery wire" hanging out of the harness that runs along under the wipers at the passenger side.

Also apparently a 3rd party remote starter installed. Never tried it, I don't use them and remote battery dead. Hear that they sometimes cause startup issues and would like it removed, just need to research them a bit first to know where it would be and what it looks like.

Sadly, the Ram this year will need a lot of small things done.

Quick Reply: Mystery wire