3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tachometer spun 360 and now sits under pin

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 12:32 AM
Granite7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer spun 360 and now sits under pin

3rd Gen 2006 5.9l 24v Cummins I6 HO Turbo ETH. Just replaced batteries with two Odyssey Extreme AGMs. Cleaned all cable connections and grounds. Alternator checks out ok.

I started the engine and the tach worked fine for about 5 minutes then when I took the RPMs to about 3k, the needle took off and spun 360 and hit the underside of the pin. I tried a gauge reset, and it went through the whole process but didn't work. All gauges reset except tach. Now when I drive my truck and accelerate, the needle moves but in the opposite direction off the underside of the pin (counter clockwise) to about 4k then returns to the underside of the pin.

I'm hoping someone is familiar with this problem and has a fix. Any solid known causes and real solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:51 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all, that's not a gauge reset, re-calibration or anything of that nature, it's just an actuator self test to determine if all the actuators and lights are working.

As for how to fix it, take the cluster out, take off the clear plastic cover and just spin the needle back with your hand, it'll be fine.

This video is about repairing a broken peg, but it might provide some useful/helpful information to you about what's going on in there.

Quick Reply: Tachometer spun 360 and now sits under pin