DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   high idle after hitting water puddle on roadway (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/423187-high-idle-after-hitting-water-puddle-on-roadway.html)

HeyYou 06-05-2019 08:20 AM

Map seems correct non running. Then it seems kinda strange to me...... Don't know if that's the actual problem, might check and see that it gets good vacuum.....

pershingd 06-09-2019 08:08 PM

Don't know if anyone mentioned it or not, but the early 3rd gens has an issue with water getting into the bulkhead disconnect and causing all sorts of problems. Not sure if it applies or not but may be worth looking into.

kevaug 06-09-2019 09:35 PM

Is the bulkhead the Totally Integrated Power Module,(TIPM) the highly-developed fuse/relay box in the engine bay on the drivers side,?
If so - I did check it to see if it had any water in it the next morning but it was dry.
If we are talking about the same thing - do you know what would effect a high idle in that area? If not I do not know what the bulkhead disconnect is.

pershingd 06-09-2019 09:56 PM

Bulkhead disconnect is the junction box that connects the interior wiring to the exterior wiring and is located on the drivers side of the firewall. I'm not entirely sure exactly how that would affect the idle, but since so many of the circuits are interconnected, a problem with connection x could affect system y without much rhyme or reason why.

kevaug 06-13-2019 01:00 AM

Thank you - I did end up finding the bulkhead connector right where you sad it would be. The rubber boot on the fire wall seems to be in good shape.
I did notice there is ALOT of wiring in that area. Some of the wires are not all bundled in that black tape but they look like the insulation is in good shape.
Cant really wiggle anything over there - it is a very tight wiring package.

pershingd 06-13-2019 05:25 AM

There's a bolt in the center of the connector that holds everything together. It's not about being loose or looking damaged - even when there appears to be nothing wrong water can seep it's way in there and start causing problems. You need to actually take it apart to inspect and clean the connector.

kevaug 06-14-2019 09:14 PM

is there a trick or procedure to remove the rubber "snorkel" on the bulkhead disconnect?

And how do I reinstall and seal it again?
Thanks

pershingd 06-14-2019 10:16 PM

You're going to have to check a service manual for that. I was on the road when I started having trouble and took it to a dealer tech. I got a pretty good deal as it was slow and they knew immediately what was wrong. I got away only paying labor & shop fees.

kevaug 06-18-2019 09:21 AM

Took it apart. Unfortunately just like all the other connectors Ive checked - everything is dry, looks solid and no burnt or melted areas.

Although truck is 15 years old it has low miles - less than 90K so all these things seem in great shape compared to all the rust underneath the truck!

pershingd 06-18-2019 09:08 PM

It was worth a shot I guess.