3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is this part on my manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:06 PM
kevaug
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is this part on my manual transmission

Hi - Does anyone know what this part is and what it does?
its on my 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 with 4.7L 5 speed Manual trans
Mine seems to be leaking.
Looks like some type of hard plastic vacuum line coming into it as well?
Thanks

Old 06-05-2019, 09:36 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

pan out
clutch master cylinder. follow the plastic line...does it go into the transmission?

Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 PM
kevaug
Rookie

Sorry I dont think I wrote my question very well. This is actually underneath the truck and bolted to the transmission.

I can take a zoom out pic tomorrow in the daylight.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:03 PM
kevaug
Rookie

Oh I think you are correct its probably the clutch slave cylinder and the plastic line is coming from the master in the engine bay
Thank you

Old 06-06-2019, 08:41 AM
kevaug
Rookie

OK so heres a crazy question. I have another thread about a high idle after hitting a large puddle / lagoon during a flash flood at night and my truck acting as if its stuck in cruise control now without the cruise control on.

I am now concentrating on the area underneath the truck assuming the force of the water damaged something as everything in the engine bay that could lead to a high idle seems fine. I found a detached evap line from a harness connector that ended up melting on my exhaust and found my clutch slave leaking. Both are in the same area.
So I am thinking these two items got the brunt of the water. I have also noticed my shift being a little stiff lately - so no doubt I will need a new slave.

My crazy question is could the slave or somehow water infiltrated the trans or clutch and is causing it to stick and always be engaged.
Basically my manual transmission is sort of acting like a automatic transmission.
In neutral it doesnt move just idles at 1500-1600 but n gear I do not need t give it any gas and it will go.

Sorry if I should be continuing this thought on my high idle thread - not sure where to post this idea since this thought is related to my slave & clutch.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I doubt if a broken evap line would create a vacuum leak....the purge valve would still have to open to allow air into the engine.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:30 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You dont need to give the truck any gas because the engine rpms at idle are already high.
The truck is acting like its on cruise control because the engine rpms are high.
It sounds like your clutch slave cylinder may be seeping a little oil which would be normal for its age. I would check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder and top it up if necessary.
Then I would forget about this for now at put it on the back burner and concentrate once again on the high engine idle rpm. i know you must be getting very frustrated.
Your melted evap line MIGHT be a clue. I cant remember those systems too well but is this melted line causing a vacuum leak?? You might want to splice in a rubber hose and do the repair to this melted line. HeyYou will prob chime in for ya.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:33 AM
kevaug
Rookie

I have the evap "mushroom" vent cap on order from Dodge. The line that melted seems to be an air vent for the evap system coming off the filter on the evap canister.

It melted at the very exit end so Im not sure a new vent cap is going to help much because even though the cap melted I think it should be able to still vent as
the cap has like 5 plastic fins that fit into the hard plastic evap line. So i think air is still being vented. But who knows at this point maybe its blocked and messing up the system?

I will need to zip tie it up once the new part is on because just my luck during yesterdays testing it came in contact with exhaust and burnt some more!

Thanks TrueDogman for getting me back on track and noticing my frustration level. Yes I guess I am past desperation and grasping for straws now!

Im almost out of ideas so next week I might give up and bring it to a local shop.

Quick Reply: What is this part on my manual transmission