3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Few different issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019 | 09:40 PM
Ceejaydee88
|
Rookie
Default Few different issues

Just purchased a 2006 1500. 4.7L, 4 door short bed 4x4 slt. Have a few things im needing to get done but need good starting advice.
1) i have noticed that i lack power accelerating buth highway speeds and from a stop. The motor boggs down.
2) on the cluster, the rpm gauge does not work like it should. Does not show idle rpm. But if i floor it, it will move but drop back to resting position as soon as i let off the peddle.
The truck has 158,000 miles and i purchased if from the 2nd owner. Was well taken care of. I noticed they cut the muffler end of the exhaust off then took the comb out the cat. Could this be the cause of my "lack of power" issue? 1/2 the exhaust is gone.
What if anything could i do to fix the rpm gauge? Any good starting points to figure these issues out would be helpful.

Old 08-08-2019 | 12:22 PM
TrueDogman
Captain

Just guessing that the previous owner modified the exhaust in attempt to cure the lack of power issue.

Check engine light on? Have you scanned for error codes? Tune up? If your gonna replace spark plugs do a compression check while your at it.

Old 08-08-2019 | 02:33 PM
Ceejaydee88
|
Rookie

No engine light or codes. I believe he gut the cat to get a desired sound out of it. Tune up with some plugs i plan to do this weekend. Plan to order a new exhaust soon but dont know if i will try to find a stock one or aftermarket

Quick Reply: Few different issues