3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Ram 3500 dually crew cab LHS rear door will not open

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 12:29 PM
Marquise Beauchemin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram 3500 dually crew cab LHS rear door will not open

Hi guys, I have searched the forum and have not yet found this topic. Forgive me if it's here somewhere. I just got a 2003 dually, the only thing that doesn't work is the LHS rear door will not open from either inside or outside, any suggestions? I'm not sure how to take off the door panel to look at linkages. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much!

Old 10-15-2019, 02:13 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Marquise Beauchemin
Hi guys, I have searched the forum and have not yet found this topic. Forgive me if it's here somewhere. I just got a 2003 dually, the only thing that doesn't work is the LHS rear door will not open from either inside or outside, any suggestions? I'm not sure how to take off the door panel to look at linkages. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much!

Oh my, those are the types of repairs that are fun. If you remove the rear seat, you may be able to remove the inner panel. I guarantee you won't get it off in one piece with the seat in there. Now, I did look on Youtube and found a video of removing it. You may be in luck as the panel lifts up not towards you. Removal of the seat will give you room to work. Who know, you may find some money in there. Once you get the panel off, you can poke around and open it by moving the rods. I'll bet a plastic clip broke or fell off. Replace the clip and reassemble the door. Put the seat back in and you're ready to roll.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Marquise Beauchemin

Awesome thanks so much for the info. I will give that a try this weekend

Old 10-15-2019, 05:27 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Pretty sure the rods are separate between the outside door handle and inside door handle, so both plastic pieces would need to be broken - or the latch mechanism is broken. Sometimes the latch is in the open position, but the door hasn't been moved for so long its just sticky. Pull the inner handle, and shove hard on the door to see if it'll break loose. I've taken off alot of those door panels. There is typically two screws on the bottom that you will not be able to access without the door in the open position. Luckily those door panels should be real easy to find in the junk yard should you need to damage it to remove...

The following users liked this post:
Marquise Beauchemin (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 06:09 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I would guess something is up with the door lock mechanism rather than the door handles mechanism

Marquise Beauchemin (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 10:33 AM
Marquise Beauchemin

Thanks very much

Old 10-16-2019, 11:01 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not unlocking properly making both door handles inoperative maybe ? trying playing with the door lock for that door. You might get lucky and get it to open

Old 10-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Marquise Beauchemin

When I pull the outside handle it definitely feels like something is disconnected, inside door even if unlocked it will not open...

Old 10-19-2019, 06:50 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Rats, sounds like you'll have to get inside the door to see what is going on. Either force the panel off... or open the front door and get at the hinge bolts for the rear door and see if you can get the door away from the inside enough to pull the panel w/o breaking it. Panels should be easy to acquire at the junkyard.... what is the inside trim color? I know there is a 03 ram 2500 quad cab with dark grey trim in a local yard here...

Marquise Beauchemin (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 08:42 PM
Marquise Beauchemin
Smile

YAY the door finally opened

with vapor barrier pulled down

my inner handle bolt was torx not 10mm

only one screw holding panel on

the good side for comparison

Wow this job turned out better than I thought it would! I was able to remove door panel without cutting it, just like in video posted above. I soaked the lock rod, inner and outer handle attachement points at door latch and manually worked all rods with my hnd. The door magically opened!!! It was so full of fine dirt/dust it was sticking in locked position. Problem solved thanks everyone who commented I appreciate your time

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram 3500 dually crew cab LHS rear door will not open