3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 08:15 AM
moldmaker71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio

The sound in my radio stopped working. When it did come on it was only for 3 seconds. So I replaced it with another factory and radio which works just fine now but only when the key is turned to accessories. Once I turn the truck over to drive the radio sound quits altogether with all lights working etc. My mirrors work, some, light, etc so I'm not sure where to go from here. Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:47 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

What year? What radio, etc. Need to provide us more info.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:52 AM
moldmaker71

Sorry about that

Last edited by moldmaker71; 10-18-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:52 AM
moldmaker71

Originally Posted by jkeaton
What year? What radio, etc. Need to provide us more info.
Sorry I guess that would help it's a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 I have the CD cassette player Radio with equalizer. 4 speaker system. It's weird b/c it plays great when the key is on accessories. Then turn the key and sound is gone within seconds usually but sometimes plays for a minute or 2.....lights work CD turns, etc. I located a 20amp fuse #21 in the fuse box and changed it even though it looked fine but it states that it is for the radio amp. I don't have an infinity system....just the 4 speaker set up which I have read doesn't have an amp. I'm stumped

Last edited by moldmaker71; 10-18-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:19 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by moldmaker71
Sorry I guess that would help it's a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 I have the CD cassette player Radio with equalizer. 4 speaker system. It's weird b/c it plays great when the key is on accessories. Then turn the key and sound is gone within seconds usually but sometimes plays for a minute or 2.....lights work CD turns, etc. I located a 20amp fuse #21 in the fuse box and changed it even though it looked fine but it states that it is for the radio amp. I don't have an infinity system....just the 4 speaker set up which I have read doesn't have an amp. I'm stumped
Maybe it's something to do with the ignition switch in your truck? My dad's 2002 has had an issue for many years where the time/radio station number won't show up on the radio display when the key isn't put in a certain way while on the accessory mode. He has to wiggle the key sometimes to get the time/radio station numbers to show on the radio display lol

Old 10-18-2019, 03:33 PM
moldmaker71

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Maybe it's something to do with the ignition switch in your truck? My dad's 2002 has had an issue for many years where the time/radio station number won't show up on the radio display when the key isn't put in a certain way while on the accessory mode. He has to wiggle the key sometimes to get the time/radio station numbers to show on the radio display lol
Now that you say that the time and stations don't come on when I have the key on accessories.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Now that you say that the time and stations don't come on when I have the key on accessories.
Well, then I would think that must mean something is up with the ignition & probably wiring or something that connects to the stereo...

Old 10-18-2019, 07:28 PM
moldmaker71

Well, then I would think that must mean something is up with the ignition & probably wiring or something that connects to the stereo...
Well I'm not having issues with the truck starting at all. I don't understand how that has anything to do with it. I'm not doubting what your saying I just don't understand how that would make the sound turn off.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Well I'm not having issues with the truck starting at all. I don't understand how that has anything to do with it. I'm not doubting what your saying I just don't understand how that would make the sound turn off.
I meant to say that it sounds like something that connects from your ignition to your stereo is not working properly, since the accessories mode has to get power to the stereo+windows.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:32 PM
moldmaker71

I meant to say that it sounds like something that connects from your ignition to your stereo is not working properly, since the accessories mode has to get power to the stereo+windows.
I never thought that this would be such a pain to figure out. I'm wondering if it has an amp that the amp is failing. But it doesn't explain why it works while on accessories.

Quick Reply: Radio