3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 01:25 AM
Meezer
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Issues

I'm having starting issues with my 03 2500 5.7L

When I try to start it in the morning, as soon as I turn the key it starts right up. Anytime after the initial start, it cranks for 6-7 long seconds before it starts. Park it for the night, next morning starts up as soon as I turn the key. Rest of the day, starts up after cranking for 6-7 seconds. Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing these staring issues?

Old 10-20-2019, 06:22 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

How many miles on it?
Is there a difference in the ambient temperature when its delayed vs when its not?
When is the last time you cleaned the throttle body and changed the plugs?
Have you put a code reader on it to see if its flagging anything?

Do a web search on 5.7 hemi warm hard start. You'll find people theorizing that its the injectors leaking, and that causes it to be too rich. Sitting for long time lets the fuel evap off I guess. Also they say a faulty coolant temperature sensor can cause that.

Last edited by fj5gtx; 10-20-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:50 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
You'll find people theorizing that its the injectors leaking, and that causes it to be too rich. Sitting for long time lets the fuel evap off I guess. Also they say a faulty coolant temperature sensor can cause that.
I can confirm this theory first hand. Lol
however it was a Dodge 3.5l v6.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:32 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Meezer
I'm having starting issues with my 03 2500 5.7L

When I try to start it in the morning, as soon as I turn the key it starts right up. Anytime after the initial start, it cranks for 6-7 long seconds before it starts. Park it for the night, next morning starts up as soon as I turn the key. Rest of the day, starts up after cranking for 6-7 seconds. Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing these staring issues?
Any chance bad gas could be a factor? As in does the truck run and drive fine after started? I'm assuming that it drives fine and all, but just struggles to start up?

Old 10-20-2019, 10:42 AM
Meezer
Rookie

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
How many miles on it?
Is there a difference in the ambient temperature when its delayed vs when its not?
When is the last time you cleaned the throttle body and changed the plugs?
Have you put a code reader on it to see if its flagging anything?

Do a web search on 5.7 hemi warm hard start. You'll find people theorizing that its the injectors leaking, and that causes it to be too rich. Sitting for long time lets the fuel evap off I guess. Also they say a faulty coolant temperature sensor can cause that.
The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago & now has approximately 65,000 miles on it. Temps in morning when I initially start it range from the upper 30's to 50's.

I have not put a code reader on it.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Meezer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Any chance bad gas could be a factor? As in does the truck run and drive fine after started? I'm assuming that it drives fine and all, but just struggles to start up?

It is my work truck & I fill the tank at least twice a week from different gas stations. The truck runs & drives fine after it's started.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Meezer
The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago & now has approximately 65,000 miles on it. Temps in morning when I initially start it range from the upper 30's to 50's.

I have not put a code reader on it.
New temp sensor would be fast to swap... if not joy, then check the injectors.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:07 PM
Meezer
Rookie

Update: I had it scanned & it was the Camshaft Sensor. Had it replaced & it's all good!

Old 12-30-2019, 02:36 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for letting us all know. Good stuff

Quick Reply: Starting Issues