3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 ram 1500 4x4 transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 07:57 PM
natepifer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ram 1500 4x4 transmission issue

I have an 04 ram 1500 5.7 with the 545RE tranny.
I took it into the shop because it was having an issue shifting hard from 3rd into 4th if I wasn't on the gas hard. If I was just being easy on it going up a hill it would jerk.
I am also having an issue when I first start it up and try to drive I have to give it a ton of gas to get it to start moving forward unless I let the truck sit for a few seconds then it'll pull out fine.
The shop change the tranny fluid and hoped that that would fix the issue. I barely got 2 miles down the road before the check engine light came on. I read the codes and it came back with saying there were 3 codes. It gave me the p0700 code twice and the other code was p0734 (4th gear issue). I cleared the codes and put about 300 miles on the truck that weekend before the codes came back. (still had the jerk)

I changed the 2 filters and put a new drainable pan on this week and put 8 quarts of royal purple in (believe my check valve is shot) and I got 5 miles down the road before the light came on and went into limp mode.

Are there any ideas on what I should do next before going and changing the solenoid pack? Also any advice on how to deal with what I believe is drain back?

Thank you

Old 10-20-2019, 08:00 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Filter o ring in properly?

Old 10-20-2019, 08:04 PM
natepifer

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Filter o ring in properly?
Assuming you mean the press in ring that was a pain in the rear to get all the way in. I got it to set in with a round screw driver handle end and light tapping.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:19 PM
DeanMullin

So I had my tranny serviced the other day and I had a split in the seam of the filter case...replaced that and then the service guy comes out who has been doing trannys for 45 years told me that its a very common
thing with only dodge trannies that a rubber seal inside the tranny flattens out and doesnt seal properly which can lead to slippage in the tranny which my tranny does when i put my foot into it..if i dont then it runs fine...
he is the expert not me and it goes with what happens and I hadnt mentioned that to him prior to him telling me this...so it may be that...it has to be pulled and taken apart to be fixed...so that may be the problem...

Quick Reply: 2004 ram 1500 4x4 transmission issue