3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

6spd manual clutch issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Mud Marine
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6spd manual clutch issues...

Ok so here's the deal, I have the lifetime warranty on my 07 1500 with the 4.7 and the getrag 238 6spd and it began to be hard to shift into 1st, 2nd and rev. I have 180k on the factory clutch so I knew that was time to be changed but I was hoping the problem would be the synchro's since that was covered warranty work. Long story short Dodge changed the clutch at my expense but now the clutch catches right off the floor and the pedal is softer than my gas pedal! Prior to service, my clutch felt normal, wasn't hard to push but it wasn't soft either. The engagement point was about an inch and a half off the floor.

Dealer says there's no problem and the clutch is fine but I suspect otherwise. Anyone else had any experience with this?

So extra info too:
my wife had an 05 Dakota with the same engine and transmission. I changed the clutch on that at 78k (we bought it used at 72k) and the clutch fork on these is super weird. The HD T-56 trans manual has an update advising mechs to ensure proper orientation of the clutch fork or else the transmission may not disengage with the clutch depressed. I suspect this may be a similar issue in the Getrag but that it will only partially disengage, but there is no mention of this in the Getrag manual.

The master/slave cylinder is a sealed system, the dealer did not change mine because the old dirty one is still there... So why does my clutch have no "feel"? It's like stepping on a break pedal that has no fluid in it, but the clutch still disengages (albeit like in the above manner)

It's a hydraulic clutch so there is no adjustment and no amount of clutch disk wear would change the engagement point by any noticable amount, especially about an inch or two difference.

What are y'alls thoughts/experiences?

Getrag manual

T56 pub

Old 10-30-2019, 06:18 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Identical setup in my 05, but I have the NV4500.
Do you know if they used an oem clutch, or after market?? Some clutches have a different feel than others. I used an AutoZone special until it gave up 18 months later, it was stiffer than my own. Then I put in a luk clutch, and it's softer than the AutoZone, and the oem, I read that the Luk clutch was oem supplier, and I was told other wise, but when I looked it up it said it was oem.
A new clutch will engage just off the floor until it gets some use, it's got a thicker clutch disc. Did they turn the flywheel?
I wonder if they went past the min. Thickness?? Or right at it, that would make the clutch not build pressure because it's just barely disengaging the pressure plate at the very end of the slave cylinder throw. Almost like giving a cable clutch all the free play it can have and just barley disengages the clutch.

Quick Reply: 6spd manual clutch issues...