3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Ram 1500 - Crank but no start. PCM/SKIM issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 10:22 PM
Cr10568
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint
Yes I did. Somewhere on the internet I found a thread about someone having the same issue because of a failed sensor. I think it was either one on the throttle body or crank position sensor. Mine ended up being a crank position sensor, but I changed both.

It's been a while, but I think the theory was the sensor was failing and internally shorting the 5v? Rail in the PCM which was causing it to do all kinds of odd things.

So I ended up checking for 5v reference at all the sensors and didn’t have it. Decided to check for a short the fastest way possible as it was late and I work way too many hours, and cut the 5v reference wire near the PCM to see if it jumped up to 5v. No change. The PCM is not putting out the 5v signal like it should be. I just had the PCM replaced and had it programmed at the dealership 2 weeks ago. Looks like I’m in the same boat again, and another PCM is 4-6 weeks out.

Quick Reply: 02 Ram 1500 - Crank but no start. PCM/SKIM issue?