3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004.5 Injection pump pressure 18,000psi

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 11:02 PM
EdandTaylor Rook
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004.5 Injection pump pressure 18,000psi

Has anyone out there got an idea how much my injection pressure should be? I believe this is a cp3 pump and the reading on my tuner says I'm idling around 5000-7000 and when I'm towing it won't even go to 19,000psi. Should I be getting more pressure?

2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 24v

Thanks in advance

Old 12-19-2019, 06:18 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdandTaylor Rook
Has anyone out there got an idea how much my injection pressure should be? I believe this is a cp3 pump and the reading on my tuner says I'm idling around 5000-7000 and when I'm towing it won't even go to 19,000psi. Should I be getting more pressure?

2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 24v

Thanks in advance
Sounds pretty normal to me. Mine idles about 6500. Cruising I'm at around 15,000 - 17,000 give or take. These rails max out at 23k? 24k? I believe? I really only ever see that when I turn the ignition off and the rail spikes quick due to the injectors not firing anymore. Just because it'll go that high, doesn't mean it needs to when you think it should.

Get yourself a lift pump pressure gauge as well. You'll want to know the pressure of that. If that pressure drops, you're starving your injector pump.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:47 PM
EdandTaylor Rook

Do you have a recommendation for a good brand of permanent gauge that mounts on the dash? Also I was wondering where is the best location in the system to add it because I believe I have an in tank pump.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:32 PM
chromed95
Captain

Do you have a recommendation for a good brand of permanent gauge that mounts on the dash? Also I was wondering where is the best location in the system to add it because I believe I have an in tank pump.
What I have is an Edge Insight CTS2 monitor. It’s spendy, but it monitors a bunch of vitals, everything your truck monitors, and it’s all digital. No need for many separate gauges. And it’s expandable for when you want to add more sensors. If you want to go with just a gauge, you can probably find one online that you like, I don’t know much about those types of gauges.

On my engine, I have a secondary fuel filter system that filters down to 2 microns. The factory filter is an insufficient 7 microns. These injectors NEED the cleanest fuel possible, or else they will fail. With that said, I mounted my lift pump pressure gauge on the CP3 inlet, after my secondary fuel filter. It runs up to my monitor in the cab. That is the best location because it is just before your injection pump.

You do have an in tank LP which is good. 03-04 had block mounted LP which had a high failure rate. Block mounted stressed the pump because it was working hard pulling fuel. In tank pushes fuel and keeps the pump cool being submerged in fuel.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:16 PM
EdandTaylor Rook

I have the edge cts2 monitor too. It came with my truck along with tuning (edge attitude) and I haven't added anything to it. I'm not sure how to go about adding the lift pressure gauge to that system.

I tested my lift pressure just by attaching a cheap pressure gauge to the soft delivery line under the truck and turned the key half way. It read the max on the gauge so I know it's over 10psi not running. I couldn't hook it up inline because there's no shrader valve on the back of the filter housing, just a banjo bolt connecting the fuel line from the tank, so I don't know the pressure at idle or WOT.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:19 PM
chromed95
Captain

I have the edge cts2 monitor too. It came with my truck along with tuning (edge attitude) and I haven't added anything to it. I'm not sure how to go about adding the lift pressure gauge to that system.

I tested my lift pressure just by attaching a cheap pressure gauge to the soft delivery line under the truck and turned the key half way. It read the max on the gauge so I know it's over 10psi not running. I couldn't hook it up inline because there's no shrader valve on the back of the filter housing, just a banjo bolt connecting the fuel line from the tank, so I don't know the pressure at idle or WOT.
To add a LP gauge to the cts2 monitor you'll need:
https://edgeproducts.com/shop/eas-un...r-input-5-volt
and
https://edgeproducts.com/shop/eas-pr...psig-1-8in-npt

The sensor input can support two additional sensors. If you ever want to do more sensors, you have to buy another set of them and daisy chain all of it together. The pressure sensor can be used on the fuel inlet side on the CP3....I can't remember exactly how I plumbed mine onto the CP3, but if you're really interested in doing it, I can take pictures for you.

Quick Reply: 2004.5 Injection pump pressure 18,000psi