3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Dodge ram 4.7 l V8 automatic transmission not shifting gears no overdrive need h

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 03:16 PM
Joel Andrews
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge ram 4.7 l V8 automatic transmission not shifting gears no overdrive need h

I have a 2006 Dodge ram 4.7 l V8 automatic transmission gasoline engine. Needing help on how to figure out why my truck has no overdrive seems like it's starting off in 3rd gear from a stop,and can't figure out what the problem is. Sometimes in the morning when my truck has sat overnight it will shift gears absolutely fine and then once it warms up it starts acting up again. I've try troubleshooting the problem online and don't know if it's a solenoid possibly internally in the transmission or the PCM just need help I have done diagnosis on the truck and error codes p0 700 and p0 750 have popped up. Hoping I do not have to replace my transmission any advice would be very helpful thank you!!!!

Old 02-19-2020, 05:17 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

P0700 - general trans fault, usually accompanied by another code
P0750 - fault shift solenoid A
Your trans is in limp mode (stuck in 4th gear). Since it doesn't do it til it warms up (which ironically is when the computer allows for overdrive) there's a very good chance it's the solenoid in the pack. Start small and cheap, check both ends of the harness (at the PCM and at the transmission). You may get lucky and it's just a bad connection. More than likely it's a solenoid pack, if you don't have alot of experience with this I'd take it to reputable trans shop with the proper diagnostic tools. Solenoid pack is MUCH cheaper than a replacement trans.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:28 PM
Joel Andrews

Originally Posted by Magnoom
P0700 - general trans fault, usually accompanied by another code
P0750 - fault shift solenoid A
Your trans is in limp mode (stuck in 4th gear). Since it doesn't do it til it warms up (which ironically is when the computer allows for overdrive) there's a very good chance it's the solenoid in the pack. Start small and cheap, check both ends of the harness (at the PCM and at the transmission). You may get lucky and it's just a bad connection. More than likely it's a solenoid pack, if you don't have alot of experience with this I'd take it to reputable trans shop with the proper diagnostic tools. Solenoid pack is MUCH cheaper than a replacement trans.
Once I drop trans pan is there any way of knowing which one solenoid A is? And if there's any way of telling if you have a bad solenoid once inspecting solenoid pac? And thank you so much for the advice.This is been such a nightmare not knowing exactly what the problem is,and everyone telling me it could be this or it could be that, and YouTube was pretty much the same way. Just so many different things that can actually make your truck not shift gears mind-boggling! Also two more questions if you don't mind.Do you know if my transmission has the.... I believe s45 re transmission in it? And somebody earlier saying it could be adjusting shift cables or clutch linkage? Nice talkin to somebody who knows a lot more about stuff like this than me thanks a lot!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2020, 09:58 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel Andrews
Once I drop trans pan is there any way of knowing which one solenoid A is? And if there's any way of telling if you have a bad solenoid once inspecting solenoid pac? And thank you so much for the advice.This is been such a nightmare not knowing exactly what the problem is,and everyone telling me it could be this or it could be that, and YouTube was pretty much the same way. Just so many different things that can actually make your truck not shift gears mind-boggling! Also two more questions if you don't mind.Do you know if my transmission has the.... I believe s45 re transmission in it? And somebody earlier saying it could be adjusting shift cables or clutch linkage? Nice talkin to somebody who knows a lot more about stuff like this than me thanks a lot!!!!!!!
They generally get replaced as a pack. Yes, you have the 545RFE. There is only one shift cable and clutch linkage only applies to manuals lol.

Old 08-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Rex J
Default Fixed?

Did you ever get the problem figured out? My truck is doing the same thing.

Old 08-18-2024, 10:25 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex J
Did you ever get the problem figured out? My truck is doing the same thing.
User hasn't been active since a couple months after this post in 2020. Best making a new thread with your situation and fault codes if you want any activity.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge ram 4.7 l V8 automatic transmission not shifting gears no overdrive need h