3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Swapping in dual zone climate control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 01:04 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping in dual zone climate control?

Has anyone done this? I'm wondering how possible it is to do because I [i]might[/] have a leak in the evaporator core, and if the entire dash has to be pulled anyway to fix it then I'm considering getting the HVAC system from a dual zone truck and having that swapped in while the dash is out.

but I don't want to get into an absolutely massive project involving rewiring and stuff. so is the wiring already there to make the swap if I have the HVAC box and everything?

Old 07-01-2020, 10:31 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

So I've been looking this up mainly for ****s and giggles, and there are a LOT of people talking about but it seems that nobody has ever even attempted it due to having to remove the dash.

Otherwise the only thing that would really atop me from attempting this is if there needs to be something programmed into the computer.....but I almost don't see that being necessary with this being an older vehicle without computerized climate controls.

There may be one short wiring harness necessary along with the HVAC box.

so my thoughts on this right now are to hit up the wreckers and get an HVAC box for dual zone, and the climate controls. everything else should be attached to that.

Honestly at this point I kind of want to tackle this because nobody else has actually done it that I can find.
It would however be a ways down the road just because I have some other things that require my attention before this.

This project would only take priority if I find that my evaporator core is in fact leaking because the dash will need to be pulled to fix that anyway, so while it's out why not swap right? lol

Old 07-20-2020, 09:12 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

I've been spending more time looking into this and had a pretty good conversation with a tech from a Chrysler dealership.

Long story short is even they can't say 100% if it will work, but from everything I've seen so far and from what we talked about, it should work. He mentioned I should check the Pin-INs for the controller, and after pouring through the manual there are few references to dual zone, there aren't separate connectors or plugs for a dual zone setup, so when I get to looking at my wiring harness I should be able to confirm 100% if it would work.

At this point it's not something that's going to be happening right now, I'm currently trying to source an HVAC box setup but it's hard when it's name varies depending on who you talk to.

The only thing he mentioned that should need to be done is having the HVAC system re-calibrated, which has something to do with the blend doors being re-calibrated and that they aren't 100% if it would work. He says there should be nothing needing to be programmed into the computer as far as options are concerned.

I didn't ask specifically about it, but from what I gather from the conversation if I add this and it calibrates, it wouldn't be added to my VIN in Chryslers system, so this feature wouldn't show up on a build sheet.

Basically at this point I've done a ton of research and I'm pretty much about 90% convinced it would be a functional swap.

So what I'm going to need is a new heater core and evaporator because if I'm in there I might as well replace that stuff right? Then the HVAC box, the climate control head, and I think maybe one small wiring harness.

Old 07-25-2020, 10:48 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

I pulled the Dual Zone HVAC box out of a 2004 at the wreckers today, literally just got home with it. All in all it took me just about 1.5 hours to remove the dash and get the HVAC box out.
Things to look out for:
There are two bolts above the steering column that bolt the tube in the dash to the big metal plate. These hold the dash in place better than you might think and if you miss them the dash will barely move.
There is a bolt behind the PCM in the engine bay, the PCM needs to be removed, and the bracket holding the PCM, in order to reach this bolt.

I don't know when I'll go about putting this in my truck, but it'll probably be a couple of months before I get there.

I noticed that the wiring in the dash connected to the climate control head was almost all blue if I'm remembering right, so I don't know that I need the wiring harness in the dash, but if I do need to go that far to do this, then it looks like I'll also end up with adjustable pedals as that's part of the harness in this truck lol. This should be easy as I already have the god damn dash removed and sitting on the seat of the truck now.
This was a nearly fully optioned truck I think...maybe a Laramie?

Last edited by GRNDPNDR; 07-25-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:42 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

ok, so good news for myself and others who might be wondering, because this seems to be as far as most people have gotten from what I could find, but the wires for the dual zone controls already exist in at least an SLT model truck.
I just checked and from the harness side the climate control plugs have the one wire for dual zone, and the harness side of the connector down in the kick panel also has the same dual zone wire, however on a single zone system the connector simply doesn't have that additional wire, so it just stops there basically.
As long as you get the small harness for the HVAC box it has the wiring if it's a dual zone and should plug up and work.

However, I am considering just buying the entire dash from the truck I pulled the HVAC housing out of because then I would be able to add infinity sound+dash speakers, and adjustable pedals since those are options on the truck I gutted.

The problem is I didn't look in the passenger A pillar because in my 2005 2500 there is a connector that has like 10 pins or something, 2 of which are for clearance lights, and the others...... I don't know, whereas in a 1500 there is only 2 wires there for clearance lights.

so unless the Laramie 1500 I took the HVAC housing from has that same A pillar connector I won't be able to just swap the harness/dash ..... and this is the disappointing part because I really want to add infinity sound and adjustable pedals just for ****s and giggles lol.

At any rate, it looks like the direct swap of HVAC housing and climate controls should work. it will just need to be recalibrated by a dealer.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:45 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

also going to add that this is going to take me a few months to actually get installed my own truck because I have a few things that need to be paid off first so I can have money to buy a new evaporator and heater core, as well as blend doors.
I'm going to basically repair everything inside so I don't ever have to open up the dash again.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:21 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

More information for those who are looking for this.

As it turns out between 2004 and 2005 they switched the C206 connector for a 6 pin, so a wiring harness/dashboard from a 2005 1500 should also be compatible.
The wiring harness with all of the features available should be 56051212AB, Sales code XAP, XAP being power adjustable pedals, and is a part number of it's own which includes infinity sound, steering wheel controls, and the aux switches, however separate harnesses may be required if the harness is obtained by itself. additional small ones like the steering wheel wiring for the radio controls, sales code RDZ, 56049424AF

Electronic 4WD, if necessary is also an additional harness that runs to the transfer case from the dash I believe.... I'm not concerned with this as my truck is manual 4WD and I prefer that, but it would allow the option to add electronic if I so desired.

This of course is going beyond dual zone and adding all available comfort features to the truck like heated seats, adjustable pedals, etc.
I may have found a compatible dashboard/harness at a wreckers 2 hours away. I'll be checking it out tomorrow once I determine if they still have the truck and it's bits.

buying the harness from ebay is one thing but you would then still need the infinity amp and speakers, and additional speaker wiring etc, so for the price of the dashboard that includes all that stuff it's probably easier to go that route if you can find a compatible truck.

Quick Reply: Swapping in dual zone climate control?