3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to Replace the Rear Differential Oil in a Dodge Ram 1500 (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:03 PM
ProStreetDriver
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to Replace the Rear Differential Oil in a Dodge Ram 1500 (VIDEO)

Video tutorial on how to replace the rear differential fluid in a Dodge Ram. Here I’m working with a third-generation general truck, it’s a 2006 to be exact, 1500, 4x4 model, equipped with the 9.25 limited-slip 12 bolt axle. Your owner’s manual should list the types of oil required, but may not list the capacities. Maintenance intervals for the fluid is 25,000 km or 15,000 miles and the amount require specifically for this truck was 2.5L or about 2.6 quarts. With this truck being new to me, any previous maintenance was fairly unknown to me and I was having issues where the limited-slip was shuddering on some takeoffs and around slow corners.

The following users liked this post:
Dodgevity (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 12:41 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Good job. I just use a Felpro gasket (link)to cut down on the work and clean up. My truck is 2WD and doesn't collect much of anything on the magnet. With no clutch packs, the fluid comes out pretty clean even with 50K on it, so I've decided to just pump it out next time. I wouldn't do that with 4WD though.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...5073/5785324-P

The following users liked this post:
ProStreetDriver (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:47 PM
ProStreetDriver
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Good job. I just use a Felpro gasket (link)to cut down on the work and clean up. My truck is 2WD and doesn't collect much of anything on the magnet. With no clutch packs, the fluid comes out pretty clean even with 50K on it, so I've decided to just pump it out next time. I wouldn't do that with 4WD though.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...5073/5785324-P
Thank you Yeah I was debating which to use, a gasket or sealant. I usually prefer using a gasket, but figured I might as well just use the factory method instead. I think this oil was well overdue it's maintenance interval. I still need to do the front too, way too many projects at the moment and this insanely hot weather isn't helping either lol.

Quick Reply: How to Replace the Rear Differential Oil in a Dodge Ram 1500 (VIDEO)