3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 Acceleration Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 12:16 PM
ronnez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500 Acceleration Problems

Hello,
I'm new here so not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place, but I just got a new-to-me '06 Ram 1500 v8 4.7l and am having problems with acceleration. It accelerates fine from idle and just driving normally, but if I try to get on the highway or something and need it to get up and go it just slowly gains speed (just like normal; not what it seems it should do when I'm flooring it). I went to merge onto the highway the other day and a semi was coming so I tried to accelerate quickly and all it did was slowly gain speed, and that's with the accelerator completely floored.
I am also having problems with the tachometer and have been told I need it resoldered, and another thing is that it's reading really low mpgs (around 11) even if I reset it while coasting down a hill on the highway. I was told that the tach thing and the mpg may be related but not sure if they could be related to the acceleration issue????

Thanks in advance for any replies and stay healthy!

Old 07-19-2020, 02:17 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

The 2006 year of trucks was plagued with tachometers failing. Lots of people have resoldered their tachometer and it might work, but it doesn't seem like a full fix in the long run. Your gas mileage is what I got in my '02 Ram 1500 with the 4.7. I would average 9-11 MPG. As for the acceleration issue, I would try throwing a bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel Cleaner and see if that does anything. It could also be that your throttle body needs a cleaning.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:09 PM
ronnez

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
The 2006 year of trucks was plagued with tachometers failing. Lots of people have resoldered their tachometer and it might work, but it doesn't seem like a full fix in the long run. Your gas mileage is what I got in my '02 Ram 1500 with the 4.7. I would average 9-11 MPG. As for the acceleration issue, I would try throwing a bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel Cleaner and see if that does anything. It could also be that your throttle body needs a cleaning.

Thank you Alex, I will try that!

Old 07-20-2020, 08:13 PM
rwaltemate
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard of other brands of truck that have had their solder migrate due to a lack of silver in the compound. Is this maybe the issue here too?

Here are a few guesses I have, but I haven't had this problem
1) pressure to the fuel rail being low, but would assume this would give an engine light
2) Is the transmission down shifting? Assuming it is an automatic, it should drop to a lower gear, I would check and see if there is a mechanical "kick down" that goes from the throttle body to the transmission and make sure it is working correctly, unless it doesn't have a throttle cable. My son has his grandpa's 1993 W250 and the end of the cable wore out and we had to zip tie it to make it work. LOL

Old 07-20-2020, 10:05 PM
ronnez

Originally Posted by rwaltemate
I have heard of other brands of truck that have had their solder migrate due to a lack of silver in the compound. Is this maybe the issue here too?

Here are a few guesses I have, but I haven't had this problem
1) pressure to the fuel rail being low, but would assume this would give an engine light
2) Is the transmission down shifting? Assuming it is an automatic, it should drop to a lower gear, I would check and see if there is a mechanical "kick down" that goes from the throttle body to the transmission and make sure it is working correctly, unless it doesn't have a throttle cable. My son has his grandpa's 1993 W250 and the end of the cable wore out and we had to zip tie it to make it work. LOL

Thanks! And hey, if a zip tie works it works 😂

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 Acceleration Problems