3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Engine Light and Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 02:59 PM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Check Engine Light and Inspection

Hi All - got a questions about the CEL and inspection.

For a few years now, when it's damp or rainy, my CEL comes on and when it's sunny and dry out, the CEL goes off. I've had this checked 3 times and each time I was told it was the OS2 sensor and not to worry. But now I have to go to inspection and the weather here is damp on/off enough where I never know when the light will come on and I want to get my truck inspected. My mechanic said it won't pass inspection with the light on even though it's only the OS2 sensor.

I have a scanner that can reset and turn the CEL off, but I'm not sure how they inspect vehicles and if they use a scanner at all to check functions. I am curious, if I reset the CEL and turn it off, will it be picked up during the inspection that something was wrong and it was reset or should I just wait until it goes off itself?

I know, I should just get it fixed, but there are several reasons I haven't done so as of yet. The important thing now is I just need to know if I reset the CEL and turn it off, will it be picked up during the inspection or will I be okay.

Thanks for your help ...

Old 11-16-2020, 03:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

If you reset the CEL, it will have to go through a specific drive cycle in order for the "readiness monitors" to set. The readiness monitors are kind of like fault code watch dogs. It lets the inspection station know that there was a CEL and the vehicle has not been driven enough since it was manually turned off. Meaning you are trying to just get an inspection done with out fixing the problem causing the CEL. If it's just an O2 sensor, why not go ahead and replace it? It's not that difficult.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:22 PM
nyrainman
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If you reset the CEL, it will have to go through a specific drive cycle in order for the "readiness monitors" to set. The readiness monitors are kind of like fault code watch dogs. It lets the inspection station know that there was a CEL and the vehicle has not been driven enough since it was manually turned off. Meaning you are trying to just get an inspection done with out fixing the problem causing the CEL. If it's just an O2 sensor, why not go ahead and replace it? It's not that difficult.
Specific drive cycle ... I forgot about that. I guess I'll have to wait until it goes off on it's own like I've done in the past.

I haven't fixed it yet, mostly because I don't have a place to do the work or the time to do it. But I guess it's something I need to work into my schedule since this is an ongoing problem I'm facing each year when inspection rolls around.

Last edited by nyrainman; 11-19-2020 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (11-18-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 07:26 PM
nyrainman
Professional

Update - So I did a scan and got a P0300 code, which is a misfire. One of the causes can be a dirty injector, so I emptied a bottle of injector cleaner into the gas tank. A few hours later the CEL went out and a couple days later took it to inspection and passed. Problem solved ... for now.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 08:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Glad it worked.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light and Inspection