3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 ignition switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 04:37 PM
roote343
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 ignition switch problem

Hoping someone can help as my husband is baffled. He changed the ignition switch in my '06 Dodge Ram 1500 truck for the 2nd time. 1st time ok. This time, not so good. 2 Problems. First, after he installed the new ignition switch and buckled the truck all back, after shutting off the truck, taking key out, opening the driver's door, ding ding chimes started, sounding like something was left on. Sure enough, next day, truck dead. 2nd problem. So, he took the ignition switch out and went to put it back in, when he puts the key in to turn to on, it's very tight, like it's jammed. Any ideas ?

Old 02-18-2021, 12:38 PM
roote343
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 ignition & door chime

Replying to myself to help others with the same issues. Think our door chime was due to the dome light switch not all the way down. Even with the slightest of "movement up" on the dome switch, it won't trigger the dome light (per sey) to come on, but will trigger the "ding ding" (somethings left on). Also, make sure you're all the way in Park position. Also check all fuses. With an old truck as mine (2006), anythings possible and could be combination of things to check. With the ignition switch, believe it or not, husband took out and blew compressor air into where it goes into the steering column, plus sprayed WD-40 into the barrel where the key goes, and all seems to work; key turns freely. Never had problem with truck starting; just in turning the key most likely due to debris. Someone said also could be worn key. I have 3 keys to my vehicle and they all work freely turning the ignition switch on. My steering column does not lock; it never did from day one when I bought it with 125-some miles on it, but not worried about column locking on an old truck. Hope my info helps others.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:43 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When my '05 Ram ignition switch failed it acted as though the switch was on and running the battery down overnight. Although fine when I shut it off, I'd come out in the morning and the radio is playing. Unlock the driver door, open it, the chimes start playing with the key still in my hand. Smack the bottom of the dash with an open palm and it all quits. Lol, I do have video of this on my phone. Replaced the switch (did not use a Mopar part) and it hasn't been a issue for maybe a couple years now. It is a bit stiffer turning the key, but I can live with that as opposed to a run down battery.
For grins I opened up the original switch. None of the contacts looked abnormal. Maybe just a worn out cam.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 ignition switch problem