3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine control/ ASD relay and fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 02:37 PM
kyle126
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine control/ ASD relay and fuel pump relay

I have a 2004 1500 hemi the engine control / ASD relay and fuel pump relay keep clicking on and off and killing my battery anyone have this issue and what did you do to fix it or anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Old 09-19-2021, 12:34 PM
acutturi

I am having the same issue in my 2001 Ram 1500 pickup. Just bought the thing used two weeks ago, replaced the upper and lower control arms on each side then sent it to alignment shop. Never had a problem with starting or clicking relays. Then I go to pick it up from the alignment shop and it won't start. They try a battery booster to jump it but it doesn't work. I had to leave to go to work so I came back 8 hours later with a new battery. Just for ****s and giggles, I tried the key and it started right up so I drove it home. Used it two more times since then. Then I try to start and no starter sound, just clicking under the dash and lights flashing. Thought the battery was dead so I swapped the new battery for the old one, but it made no difference. Checked voltage on the new battery, 12.6 volts reading on ampmeter. I can hear and feel the ASD relay and Fuel System relay clicking in the fuse box under the hood. Swapped them around with other relays, but it made no difference. Each relay in those two spots pulsated. Can't start the truck, cant roll down windows, sometimes the automatic doors work. The automatic seat works, the radio won't work, the control module under the dash behind the cigarette lighter sometimes clicks too.
Thoughts? I'm am going crazy trying to fix this!

Old 09-19-2021, 03:33 PM
acutturi

Originally Posted by acutturi
I am having the same issue in my 2001 Ram 1500 pickup. Just bought the thing used two weeks ago, replaced the upper and lower control arms on each side then sent it to alignment shop. Never had a problem with starting or clicking relays. Then I go to pick it up from the alignment shop and it won't start. They try a battery booster to jump it but it doesn't work. I had to leave to go to work so I came back 8 hours later with a new battery. Just for ****s and giggles, I tried the key and it started right up so I drove it home. Used it two more times since then. Then I try to start and no starter sound, just clicking under the dash and lights flashing. Thought the battery was dead so I swapped the new battery for the old one, but it made no difference. Checked voltage on the new battery, 12.6 volts reading on ampmeter. I can hear and feel the ASD relay and Fuel System relay clicking in the fuse box under the hood. Swapped them around with other relays, but it made no difference. Each relay in those two spots pulsated. Can't start the truck, cant roll down windows, sometimes the automatic doors work. The automatic seat works, the radio won't work, the control module under the dash behind the cigarette lighter sometimes clicks too.
Thoughts? I'm am going crazy trying to fix this!
Just bit the bullet and bought a brand new battery with 1000 CCA and it started right up. Apparently, the battery has quite a power draw on startup. I suspect there may be a parasitic drain on the battery while parked. Does anyone have an idea how to test for that?

Old 09-20-2021, 07:49 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

There are videos on checking for parasitic draw. You'll need a fused multimeter/DVM and decide if you are measuring at the negative or positive cables. Either is OK, I use the negative.
Make sure your truck is asleep; ignition off and doors closed for 30 minutes prior to reading values.
YOu shouldn't read more than 100ma. As reference, my draw is 27ma and I have an aftermarket stereo and two amps.

The following users liked this post:
acutturi (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 09:37 AM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
The following users liked this post:
acutturi (09-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Engine control/ ASD relay and fuel pump relay