3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil in throttle body and in vaccuum hose question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 06:07 PM
Greg84
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in throttle body and in vaccuum hose question

Hi there,

I just finished changing out all the spark plugs on my 04 ram 1500 hemi. I started on the passenger side and had to remove the air filter housing to access them. I could see in the air intake and there was oil residue on the black plastic inlet (part on the engine hat) leading to the throttle body. I finished that side then removed the hat to give me better access to the driver side plugs. I could see oil on the orange gasket of the throttle body. Also I could see that the vaccuum hose that's normally attached to the air filter housing on one end, and on the other end it looks like its connected to something near the oil filler cap and it hsd oil all inside it near the filler cap end.

Now I know I'm going to have to replace one of my cats because of p0430 code, but I never figured out why the cat went bad. Now I think it's because of burning oil.

Does anyone know what this could be? I removed the pcv valve and shook it to see if it rattled and it did, so i dont think that's it. I know it could be worn piston rings, but of course I'm hoping it's not that. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by Greg84; 10-07-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:17 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Normal hemi blow by. Get a catch can if it bothers you. It's likely the cat just died a natural death after 17/18 years.

Quick Reply: Oil in throttle body and in vaccuum hose question