3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 Hemi 4WD troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 05:18 PM
duckaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Hemi 4WD troubleshooting

First off- I've always had an issue troubleshooting vehicle issues- once I find it I typically am able to get the job done. Any help here is greatly appreciated!

I have a 07 Ram that is not locking into 4WD. This is an electric switch not manual. The problem seems to be between the front actuator or transfer case but I'm having trouble narrowing down my first stab.

Initial symptoms-
  • No Engine Codes
  • 4WD & 4WD LOW light blinks; when selecting corresponding selector option; but never locks in
  • 2WD drive fine no issues seen, felt or heard.
Here's what I know after jacking up pickup off all 4 wheels

Front Differential-
Fluid level checks out

Front axel actuator-
  • I've pulled the actuator and gears look fine. Can manually engage the locking ring. When doing so, spinning front tires turns the drive-shaft at the transfer case.
  • Reinstalled, turned on 4WD HI and carefully removed actuator- does not appear to be engaging as lock ring is in 2WD
  • Remove actuator completely and had son engage 4WD, no response from actuator.
Transfer Case-
  • When turning on 4WD HI, I can hear the transfer case switch clicking.
    • I'm not positive but it appears transfer case is engaging the front drive shaft as when I turn it by hand I see the rear drive shaft move. With that said, when putting the vehicle in drive only rear tires are turning. Part of me thought at least the drive side tire should turn as well if it was engaged at the transfer case.
  • When turning to 4WD LOW, the transfer case switch does not make a clicking sound
Weird lights-
  • I'll have to go look at this again tonight but at one point; I think I went from 2WD straight to 4WD LOW but I got a flashing 4WD Low light along with the Stability Control OFF light
As I type this I suspect the issue is the front actuator. That said, I can only assume this actuator on this truck is completely electrical? When it is removed from the axel, should I expect a response?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Last edited by duckaholic; 11-26-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Hemi 4WD troubleshooting