3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sound System Upgrade/Modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 05:16 PM
2004_1500_laramie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound System Upgrade/Modification

Hi folks,

I’m looking to improve the sound system in my 04. It’s a Laramie, but has the standard 4-speaker system and doesn’t have the steering wheel volume controls. I intend to install the steering wheel volume controls as well as the three dash speakers. Questions: Does the standard system have an external amplifier like the infinity system does? Do I need one for adding the three speakers in the dash? Can the dash speakers be wired to the speakers in the front driver and passenger door speakers? As for the steering wheel controls, the wiring harness for the switches is already in the wheel, but when I hooked up switches, it doesn’t do anything… not sure why exactly. Any good advice on installing those would be helpful. I’ve went through a post showing a detailed install of these controls from 2005, but I’m confused about why there is so much wiring involved. It seems with some things, you’re able to simply plug in a switch and—boom—it works, but not with these. If anyone can explain why the C2 Pin 12 from behind the gauge cluster is involved in hooking them up, that would also be appreciated. I’ve called several shops that do these sorts of installs and they’ve said they won’t bother because it’s an older vehicle and I’m not bothering the dealer seeing how expensive that would be, so just any good information would be great!

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2021, 07:54 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

A good place to start would be metraonline. Metra makes dash kits and stereo adapters for every vehicle. You'll want to add the SWC (steering wheel control) dongle.
You didn't ask, but consider skipping the steering wheel control altogether. Get a multimedia head unit with touch screen that you control with your phone. This will give you versatility to add sub or backup camera later. Just a rec.
You can tap into the wires for your front door speakers to add dash speakers. You will not get much power and will likely be disappointed. I think your head unit puts out 14 watts/channel. You asked about wiring to speakers in the front, and, front door speaker; you don't have both with the four speaker system. If you do have both them you have the Infinity system and that is much different setup. You may want to call Crutchfield to get more info on your system.
Metra has a helpline and you can ask them your pin question.

The following users liked this post:
2004_1500_laramie (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 11:12 AM
2004_1500_laramie

Is this what you are referring to when you say I should get a dongle?

Old 11-29-2021, 11:48 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

That's what I was thinking of. Metra or Crutchfield can make sure you get the harness that suits your needs.
Crutchfield will usually give a significant discount for the wiring harness if you buy the head unit or speakers from them. Crutchfield customer support and returns are excellent.

2004_1500_laramie (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 09:44 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is my write-up on steering wheel controls.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...installed.html

2004_1500_laramie (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 12:34 PM
2004_1500_laramie

I guess I should add some more info. I did check out the link to the mod, which will likely help me so thanks! But I don’t intend to switch the radio out for a newer one. I might, but my intent was to keep the original radio (sort of). Technically, the original radio is gone. I replaced it with the exact same thing—except modified with the aux port off JEGS. I know when people change radios, often they lose the SWC, but it’s the same radio with all the same pins plugging up to my harness. Just throwing that out there in case it matters...

Old 11-30-2021, 09:43 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004_1500_laramie
I guess I should add some more info. I did check out the link to the mod, which will likely help me so thanks! But I don’t intend to switch the radio out for a newer one. I might, but my intent was to keep the original radio (sort of). Technically, the original radio is gone. I replaced it with the exact same thing—except modified with the aux port off JEGS. I know when people change radios, often they lose the SWC, but it’s the same radio with all the same pins plugging up to my harness. Just throwing that out there in case it matters...
I'm glad my thread will help. The PCM gets the signal from the switches then converts the analog signal into a digital signal the radio will know how to interpret. So the PCM will have to flashed with the information in order to convert the signal. Back in the days Dealers could call Dodge and request to get the pcm modified to include that package, but since Fiat took over they stopped it. I did contact a guy who did it for many guys from this forum, but the system doesn't allow him to do it anymore.

Look into the adapter I used, maybe it can convert the signal into a stock Dodge signal.

Quick Reply: Sound System Upgrade/Modification