3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

just got my dodge ram....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005 | 05:14 PM
savage25xtreme
|
Rookie
Default just got my dodge ram....

last weekend and I have a few questions...first off I got the one with just 4 speakers in it, with the head unit that has a curve to it...and I have heard some terrible factory systems in my day, but this one really sucks. do they make a head unit that fits that and is worth a crap? I dont want to get the small head unit with the adapter plate...those always look crappy to me. I was thinkin about going with some infinity kappa speakers, 6X9s in the front and 5 1/4s in the back...im pretty sure thats what size they are. what are your thoughts on those? will the stock head unit be able to push them? or will I have to go aftermarket?

next think is, I got into the throttle today going around and corner and instead of just smokin the tires the damn thing started wheel hoppin like you would not beleave, is this normal? any way to fix it?

oh and I got sirius satellite radio for it, the sportster or whatever and there is NO WHERE to put that in my truck so I just through it all in the console...has anyone else been able to mount that rascle anywhere on the dash area preferable low? I dont want it up on the top....someone needs to make an adapter so that it will mount that that trash/purse loop. oh and there is no way im drillin holes in my brand new dash [8D]

'05 1500 4X4 hemi regular cab
20s with the all weather tires
anti-slip diff 3.92 gears.
..and solar yellow of course

thanks for any and all info.

Old 12-30-2005 | 05:53 PM
gpzjack
Veteran
Default RE: just got my dodge ram....

I felt the same way when i bought mine...but i found a adapter plate that fits nicely in the hole and my alpine sits slightly recessed in it and looks great. I always hated the way the adapter plates looked and most of the time the radio sits out from them but i am very happy with mine.

Old 12-30-2005 | 05:56 PM
savage25xtreme
|
Rookie

what adapter plate did you get?

Old 12-30-2005 | 06:30 PM
JoeKramer
Rookie

Are you sure about the 6X9's in the front? I just got my truck (not over the weekend, but the weekend before X-mas/last) and I have the Infinity 7 speaker system, looks to me to be 6.5's in the front. Maybe its cause I have the Infinity sound system. I really dig my system that came with it. Its the 6 disk changer with the Siruis sat. built in. I also got one year free subscription with it. Been listening to 'HairNatn' ever sence! LOL
The one upgrade I would like to do is to put a sub under my rear seats. I see there are several boxes avalible. But I need to figure out if there is any line outs on my radio...

Good luck guys!

Old 12-30-2005 | 11:32 PM
savage25xtreme
|
Rookie

you can actually put either in the front (it has the holes for a 6.5) but from the factory in a 4 speaker system its a 6X9....

anyone got any input on the wheel hop?

Old 12-30-2005 | 11:45 PM
FLSTF HEMI

Savage - These things are wheel hoppin beasts - unlike the 03's and earlier you can't diconnect the torque management. I just purchased the Superchips Flashpaq # 3815 for the Hemi!!!! I highly reccommend it for everyone. Better throttle response, longer holds of the gears, stronger shifts, and better fuel economy. And by the way its also a DTC - I say this is the best mod I have ever done on any vehicle I have ever owners. The $400 is well spent! here is the link for the research! I haven't done a CAI or exhaust yet - but I am telling you the superchips releases the beast the Hemi really is! - The factory just smothers our motors!

http://www.superchips.com/product.ph...mk=589&msg=%2B

Old 12-31-2005 | 12:00 AM
alienyzf
Professional

This is what I got for my xm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Delphi-Roady-2-R...lexible-Mount- here is the item number if link doesn't work 5847879340

and this for cd quality sound

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DtfQxAu...450&I=581DFCHR

ORIGINAL: savage25xtreme

last weekend and I have a few questions...first off I got the one with just 4 speakers in it, with the head unit that has a curve to it...and I have heard some terrible factory systems in my day, but this one really sucks. do they make a head unit that fits that and is worth a crap? I dont want to get the small head unit with the adapter plate...those always look crappy to me. I was thinkin about going with some infinity kappa speakers, 6X9s in the front and 5 1/4s in the back...im pretty sure thats what size they are. what are your thoughts on those? will the stock head unit be able to push them? or will I have to go aftermarket?

next think is, I got into the throttle today going around and corner and instead of just smokin the tires the damn thing started wheel hoppin like you would not beleave, is this normal? any way to fix it?

oh and I got sirius satellite radio for it, the sportster or whatever and there is NO WHERE to put that in my truck so I just through it all in the console...has anyone else been able to mount that rascle anywhere on the dash area preferable low? I dont want it up on the top....someone needs to make an adapter so that it will mount that that trash/purse loop. oh and there is no way im drillin holes in my brand new dash [8D]

'05 1500 4X4 hemi regular cab
20s with the all weather tires
anti-slip diff 3.92 gears.
..and solar yellow of course

thanks for any and all info.

Old 12-31-2005 | 09:13 PM
jclaar

The new Metra kits are nice. They ISO mount the HU which means the trim ring isn't used. It's very clean looking.

Metra

Old 01-02-2006 | 12:40 PM
savage25xtreme
|
Rookie

the metra does look nice, altho they didnt have one for the '05 ram that I saw...maybe the universal chrysler one works?

thanks for all the great advice guys.

any thoughts on those speakers I mentioned? maybe look at another brand?

Old 01-02-2006 | 07:29 PM
monoxide83
Rookie

The Infinity Kappa are good speakers but if you want to spend the money and want the best go with bose or MB quart and as far as enough power from the stock head unit ummmmmm. no u will need to hook those speakers up to an amp. so U can still use the factory head unit and hook up an amp. That is what I have done because my stock cd player has good sound. but there is a wire connector you can buy from almost anywhere that sells speakers and amps and it hooks up to your speaker wires and lets you convert speaker wire to RCA and that is what will let you run an amp off of a factory unit. and if you start getting into amps and subs you need to look into a capacitor and that hooks up before the amp and help keep your alternator from over power. If you have any questions feel free to email me; dbennett@d17cutters.uscg.mil.

Quick Reply: just got my dodge ram....