3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 02:48 PM
Fredsansoucie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Wiring

So I just installed an aftermarket stereo in my truck, and I temporarily took the ignition power from the 4WD switch. (I have a floor shifter and the wire was there). I would like to get it to retain the RAP, but after looking through the service manual for a while I cannot find any details on wiring. Does anyone know where I can find this? Hoping its something that's not dependent on the CAN bus

Old 01-12-2022, 04:38 PM
SnowBeast428
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is programming related but if your truck lets you move the windows with the truck off and doors closed after running then you have it. A programmer box is going to be needed, for me I got my acc power from the radio harness by using the harness kits crutchfield sells for your truck, tons of crimp connectors later and its been fine years later.

If you know someone nearby with alfaobd they can add it. Or you can get it yourself and do it.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:05 PM
Fredsansoucie

I have alfaobd and have looked through the configurations but I can't find anything. The service manual wiring diagrams also show nothing on how the power is controlled, whether it be the CAN bus or an actual toggle through the tipm

Old 01-19-2022, 08:05 PM
SnowBeast428
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredsansoucie
I have alfaobd and have looked through the configurations but I can't find anything. The service manual wiring diagrams also show nothing on how the power is controlled, whether it be the CAN bus or an actual toggle through the tipm
I have college soon but I'll take a look once the horrible laptop i use charges. Alfaobd is a tad convoluted and some of the names dont make sense.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:08 PM
Fredsansoucie

Originally Posted by SnowBeast428
I have college soon but I'll take a look once the horrible laptop i use charges. Alfaobd is a tad convoluted and some of the names dont make sense.
I ended up just going off of the power outlet, for some reason I never thought about it being on the run/acc fuse. My truck does have it though, the radio stayed on before I swapped it out

Old 01-20-2022, 01:31 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

Since it isn't mentioned anywhere, what year is your truck?

Quick Reply: Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Wiring