3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steam coming from radiator, but don’t know if overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022 | 11:18 PM
ricebuie
|
Default Steam coming from radiator, but don’t know if overheating

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L. I recently put an engine in it, because I locked the old one, and I didn’t reinstall the coolant overflow tank on the radiator. Whenever I drive the truck, when it gets heated up, it starts blowing steam out where the overflow tank would normally connect. I don’t know if the trucks overheating because my gauge cluster is dead. Before I put this coolant tank back on, I want to make sure it’s supposed to blow steam into that reservoir or if it’s overheating. I always stop the truck when I see steam

Old 05-25-2022 | 11:31 PM
Meezer
Rookie

Why didn't you reinstall the coolant tank??

COOLANT RESERVOIR

A coolant tank acts as a regulating component to the excess coolant that’s produced from the heat in your engine. As the warmth rises, coolant expands and overflows into the coolant reservoir and is then sucked back into the radiator as your car cools down after shut-off. Your vehicle relies on your coolant tank to readily accept the excess coolant with each cycle, and a crack or leak means constant replenishing and the possibility of overheating your engine.
Coolant Reservoirs: What You Need to Know - AutoZone

Last edited by Meezer; 05-25-2022 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2022 | 11:36 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Google how the system works.

The overflow is also called the expansion tank. Yes, it collects heated coolant, which flows back into the radiator as it cools. Reinstall the tank. If you're not topping off coolant daily, you're likely overheating at some level.

Old 05-26-2022 | 08:22 AM
jrsick
All Star

You can get a code scanner that will give you engine temperature. There are inexpensive scanners that will connect to your OBD port and send engine performance data via bluetooth.

Quick Reply: Steam coming from radiator, but don’t know if overheating