3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I think I bent my knuckle where the ball joint sits

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Omarpena515
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I bent my knuckle where the ball joint sits

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd

Last edited by Omarpena515; 06-12-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:31 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah there's a snap ring there I believe. The appropriate replacement units require you to 86 those rivets and replace the entire ball joint and bracket as a unit with bolts.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:33 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Just so I can be sure, could you tell me what we're looking at? Is that front lower ball joint of a 2wd Ram 1500? Can you tell us what year?
Pressing out a ball joint without removing the snap ring must have been an effort. Be sure to check the mount to make sure there is no structural damage.
But to answer your question, if the alignment shop can get the alignment within specs then you should be fine.
Since you are getting alignment anyway, you may want to consider replacing that tie rod end.
Pictures always make it look worse, but that's some rust right there. You may want to consider a new control arm. If not, then I rec you address the rust with POR 15, Rust Bullet, or similar coating.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:25 AM
Omarpena515
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsick
Just so I can be sure, could you tell me what we're looking at? Is that front lower ball joint of a 2wd Ram 1500? Can you tell us what year?
Pressing out a ball joint without removing the snap ring must have been an effort. Be sure to check the mount to make sure there is no structural damage.
But to answer your question, if the alignment shop can get the alignment within specs then you should be fine.
Since you are getting alignment anyway, you may want to consider replacing that tie rod end.
Pictures always make it look worse, but that's some rust right there. You may want to consider a new control arm. If not, then I rec you address the rust with POR 15, Rust Bullet, or similar coating.
yea it’s 2002 2wd lower ball joint. I removed all the rust to locate the snap ring before I removed but I couldn’t find one. I also updated the pictures, I removed the other side and it was a lot easier and it didn’t bend, so you can see how uneven both sides are now. I really hope I can still get it aligned. Or I would have to replace that single control arm because it’s $200.

i accidentally deleted the text from my post when I updated the pictures 🥲

Old 06-12-2022, 01:05 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Most people just replace the LCA: KIT135 https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+end+kit,15413

Quick Reply: I think I bent my knuckle where the ball joint sits