3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Automatic Starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006 | 12:46 PM
GotHemi?
|
Professional
Default Automatic Starter

Just had mine installed on the 30th. I love it and I highly recomend you guys/girl look into it. It is functional for warming up the truck and it is a pretty cool toy. I got the Mad Dog model that alows you to make a stop and take the keys out and leave the engine running. Range of 1000 feet also. Just think it was a good addition in case anyone cares. Anyone have any horror stories from their trucks? I haven't had any problems yet, a couple missed starts but this is due to the computer "learning" how long to crank the truck in the first few days.

Old 01-02-2006 | 07:21 PM
wreckless123
Rookie
Default RE: Automatic Starter

Remote start is an awesome addition, but as it gets a few years on it they seem to fail quite often.. I just had to rip one off my 98 Sonoma because it was making it seem like I needed fuel pump, it was disabling the fuel pump. I guess I am saying, keep the remote starter in mind in the future if you have any electrical gremlins.. Start diagnostics with the remote starter..

Old 01-02-2006 | 09:22 PM
bgden21

I asked two people at my dealership if they void warrenty and I got two different answers.. One says Oh yea and the other "No way".. Does anyone know the truth and did you install it yourslf?
Thanks

Old 01-03-2006 | 05:50 AM
GotHemi?
|
Professional

I did NOT install it myself. Just looking at the owners manual for the starter made my head spin. I thought it would be good to leave the install to the pros who sold it to my fiancee as a birthday gift. They do hundreds of my model a year and thats worth every penny. The starters themselves are relatively cheap (about half the cost) but a professional install with a no questions / bring it back if you have questions or problems is so worth it in my opinion. Side note, this thing locks my doors automatically when I take control from the starter, it no longer waits for the truck to hit 15 MPH. Also, the automatic kill switch for if you leave the headlights on by accident is also diabled I think. BGDEN21- there is no way this should void your warranty, especially with a professional install. Hell, some smart manufactuers are making them factory options!!

Old 01-03-2006 | 01:59 PM
spikeyhaired1
Rookie

I have a CrimeStopper remote on mine and I love it. it controls both my truck and my wifes suv eliminating the need to carry around two remotes on the keychain.....

Quick Reply: Automatic Starter