3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

early third gen headlight housing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 06:12 AM
Gladly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default early third gen headlight housing question

02 1500 “bucket style”? i think is what iv been told my headlights are but i was curious if it’s possible to open the headlight housing without destroying them to add. Picture is from the website selling the “kit”

Old 03-08-2023, 09:56 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

One would assume so if they put those rings inside a set, though I imagine if you still have your originals they're probably cloudy; might be worth buying a new set of already done housings (if they offer them).

Old 03-08-2023, 10:59 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I think people warm the housing to separate the lens. Likely they have instructions with their kit. But I'm with Magnoom, probably worth buying ready to install units.

Old 03-10-2023, 04:11 AM
GrossmeisterB
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about the US, but in Germany a set of used stock headlights is like 50 bucks. So maybe worth a try first with used ones?

Old 03-10-2023, 04:14 AM
Gladly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
One would assume so if they put those rings inside a set, though I imagine if you still have your originals they're probably cloudy; might be worth buying a new set of already done housings (if they offer them).
the only fear i have with the pre made is the quality of both the light itself and the LEDs, chinese leds are super hit or miss for me and i feel like when they say “East plug and play” all of the reviews say “annoying wiring” if they had a set that just was actually plug and play i would

Old 03-10-2023, 07:49 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

You have to consider what you're installing. I feel most people that actually write reviews shouldn't even own hand tools...... In this situation you're adding a light and function that was not on the truck, there's no way for it to just be plug n play. Maybe the included wiring kit leaves something to be desired but to me adding something like that, and an in cab control (box, switch whatever) Is going to be tedious and time consuming, if you want it done correctly and clean. Removing covers, dash panels ect requires some time and finesse. A well routed and loom wrapped harness will be time consuming.

I've read lots of articles about custom headlights. Seems the general way of doing it is popping it in the oven for X temp at X time. Do your own research on what you think is best. But the lense is essentially glued on the housing so separating it is possible, just a matter of what it takes and what you're willing to risk breaking.

Quick Reply: early third gen headlight housing question