3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing leaf springs on an '05 1500 5.7 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 07:08 PM
Thatctuy
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing leaf springs on an '05 1500 5.7 4x4

Well finally figured out why my bed was sitting sooo low. One of the previous owners removed leafs. I sourced a new set of springs + shackles that I'm going to pick up this weekend (still need to get replacement struts b/c I'm assuming they're shot) but had a couple questions about install. Is it going to be easier to remove the tire on 1 side only, support axle, and do one side at a time? Or should I support both sides of the axle, remove both tires, then start working on swapping out the leaf springs? Also, based on the pics (with the lack of leaf springs) I'm assuming it's probably not safe to drive the truck? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:48 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

Shocks, not struts. Struts are shock/spring combos. You've driven it this long, you'll probably be fine a little while longer. Best way to do this is to put a large floor jack under the differential, then jack it up as high as it needs to go so that a good set of sturdy jackstands (no Harbor Freights) can go under the frame rails. Remove the wheels (otherwise you'll never get enough clearance). Then you can either unbolt the rear from the springs and lower it, then move it out of the way while you replace the leaf springs or you can lower the axle and springs together and replace them on the axle; six one, half dozen of the other.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:56 PM
Thatctuy
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Shocks, not struts. Struts are shock/spring combos. You've driven it this long, you'll probably be fine a little while longer. Best way to do this is to put a large floor jack under the differential, then jack it up as high as it needs to go so that a good set of sturdy jackstands (no Harbor Freights) can go under the frame rails. Remove the wheels (otherwise you'll never get enough clearance). Then you can either unbolt the rear from the springs and lower it, then move it out of the way while you replace the leaf springs or you can lower the axle and springs together and replace them on the axle; six one, half dozen of the other.
Thanks again for the info, greatly appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Magnoom (03-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Replacing leaf springs on an '05 1500 5.7 4x4