3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing my 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 01:52 PM
Warlock2020
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my 4.7

Im replacing my 4.7 in my wifes 04 ram with a rebuilt one and im trying to get some info which is hard to find it seems like on slight mods. Heres what im trying to figure out to do with the new engine sorry in advance for unpacking all this crap on yall.

1. Upgrading cooling system as its stock from 2004

2. Jba shorty headers with magnaflow cats and i already have 2 carven r 2.5 in and out mufflers. The truck is already true duel but pipes have holes so im replacing all the way back. So should i stay 2.5? Or increase to 2.75 at tailpipe?

3. cai if i can find a decent one that actually works after tune.

4. Cant seem to find any other intake manifold accept using an 08+ but seeing its hella expensive for not much gain so i may stay stock.

5. Should i increase the throttle body slightly if i run above listed items?

6. Not sure about e fan over clutch as im seeing there may not be enough cfm to properly cool in stop and go traffic and seems like the only e fan available for the 4.7 is the flex-a-lite.

7. if i it makes sense to increase tb should i also increase injector size? it is stock so idk if it would make a difference really without changing heads and stuff

8. If i install above things what tune should i get if any?

Ive been looking for a few days now and cant seem to get a clear answer on what to do with it so if anyone has better input or ideas that doesnt involve major changes than what i listed that would be great as i dont know 💩 about 4.7 except they suck from what i read and im trying to make it not suck thanks

Old 03-17-2023, 05:15 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple of those I did on my 05

efan: got the biggest noticeable gains from this. I have the flex-a-lite like you were looking at. It keeps the engine running cool with no problems. I live in S.E. Texas and it works really well in the summers when it’s 90+ degrees with high humidity

shorty headers: I had a set of the same ones and the only noticeable thing I could tell was it made it louder. Got rid of them because I was tried of constantly having to retightens them. Some of those bolts are a PITA to get to. I have a flow master muffler, single in and dual out and the are the 2.75.

cold air intake: I got the shorty jr cold air intake. I kept the stock air box part because I live on a dirt road and I didn’t like the air filter just sitting out there sucking in fist all the time.

tune: I just have the diablosport tuner set on the lowest tune. It doesn’t do much but changed my speedometer and my shift points to where I like it to shift

the biggest thing I did was regeared the rear end from 3:55 to 3:92. At 75 the engine is running at 2k rpm instead of the 1500. So it’s up in the power band. It hurt the gas mileage a little but now I have power when I need to pass someone or go up a hill.

hope any of this helps you out

The following users liked this post:
Warlock2020 (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 06:22 PM
Warlock2020
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does actually thanks for the reply. I read a forum yesterday where someone was saying the clutch fan has a capacity of 12000 cfm but only runs 30% of it which i see the flex-a-lite is about the same cfm but they said for normal driving the e-fan is ok but towing or living somewhere with hills the clutch fan is better? My main concern is keeping the engine cool especially the 4.7 so im pretty convinced to buy the efan plus it might bring some noise down as well. The stock radiator looks like its a 1 core as well which may suffice for a small v8 but correct me if im wrong wouldnt a 2 core be better either regular or all aluminum? Do you remember what tstat you had in it by chance?

Old 03-18-2023, 11:15 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I first put the Egan on it was the stock temp,whatever that is. It ran a little before the 1/2 mark. Towing it was at 1/2. I put a 180 degree one in and now it runs a little over quarter. I’m sure a 2 core or aluminum rad would make it a lot better but I haven’t had to replace mine yet so I’ve never found out.

if you already don’t know this guy has done everything to the 4.7 and then some. His website isn’t much but if you contact him he knows alot

airram.com

Quick Reply: Replacing my 4.7