3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no A/C and boy it sure is hot out there...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 11:32 AM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, both the blower and the condenser fan are working fine. I saw on the scanner (SnapOn Versus Edge) that the ETS (evaporator temperature sensor) was showing low voltage but the temperature was above freezing. I thought that was suspect but I don't know where that ETS is located... I know it is in the air box, and the FSM says it can be changed without having to evacuate the system but then when you go in the FSM to change the ETS: step one, "evacuate the system and remove the airbox"

I removed the glovebox and groped up around the airbox trying to feel the ETS connector so I could test the voltage and see if something was out of normal...
I never really could find (feel) it for sure BUT
low and behold, the a/c has been working. I think that when the Tetaka passenger killer recall was addressed, that maybe somehow the wiring got disturbed and perhaps my fumbling around up in there, I got it to work if only for now.

Now
I am experiencing condensation on the windshield and have come to realize that my controls are not allowing me to select [FLOOR][FEET][DEFROST] or {mix} so I know I will have to go in and address that.

SO hopefully I will continue to have cool blowing A/C through this summer heat and I can tear apart my dashboard and airbox in the winter.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:36 AM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
Yes, both the blower and the condenser fan are working fine. I saw on the scanner (SnapOn Versus Edge) that the ETS (evaporator temperature sensor) was showing low voltage but the temperature was above freezing. I thought that was suspect but I don't know where that ETS is located... I know it is in the air box, and the FSM says it can be changed without having to evacuate the system but then when you go in the FSM to change the ETS: step one, "evacuate the system and remove the airbox"

I removed the glovebox and groped up around the airbox trying to feel the ETS connector so I could test the voltage and see if something was out of normal...
I never really could find (feel) it for sure BUT
low and behold, the a/c has been working. I think that when the Tetaka passenger killer recall was addressed, that maybe somehow the wiring got disturbed and perhaps my fumbling around up in there, I got it to work if only for now.

Now
I am experiencing condensation on the windshield and have come to realize that my controls are not allowing me to select [FLOOR][FEET][DEFROST] or {mix} so I know I will have to go in and address that.

SO hopefully I will continue to have cool blowing A/C through this summer heat and I can tear apart my dashboard and airbox in the winter.
That sounds like a potential Mode door issue. These things are notorious for blend door/mode door issues. That could have also been your intermittent cooling issue too. On my truck I have to reach under the dash and give the box a few wacks to get my truck cold because it blend door tries to open up to the heater core sometimes.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:27 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you, yes, I am aware that the mode door (or mode door actuator) has an issue. I will look into it when time (and my local climate) allows...

Quick Reply: no A/C and boy it sure is hot out there...