3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starts won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 07:59 PM
NoDLon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts won't idle

2004 5.7 Ram 1500. Truck will start but will not idle. I can keep it running with the help of the fuel pedal. There are NO CODES. Was going to work to my exit and truck shut off. I have changed fuel pump, throttle body, sensors fuel rail gets fuel and injectors are spraying. Please any thoughts I'd like to keep her running only have like 396000 mile on her. Have never done anything to the engine.

Old 10-01-2023, 01:47 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NoDLon
2004 5.7 Ram 1500. Truck will start but will not idle. I can keep it running with the help of the fuel pedal. There are NO CODES. Was going to work to my exit and truck shut off. I have changed fuel pump, throttle body, sensors fuel rail gets fuel and injectors are spraying. Please any thoughts I'd like to keep her running only have like 396000 mile on her. Have never done anything to the engine.
Are you still here? Did you get it figured out? Do tell

The Throttle body (the part that electronically connects the gas pedal to the engine air valve (speed control) should be cleaned regularly.
The spark plugs should be changed (copper) every 30,000 miles.,
so wow, if you have never done any thing to the motor and you made it 300k then wow.

No codes,

Try to recalibrate the gas pedal first.

I think you put the pedal to the floor, turn on the key, slowly let your foot up and then turn off the key (all without cranking the starter) BUT, google or YouTube to make sure my instruction is correct

Please report what you find and how you fix your truck.
Your truck is special to me like the 108 year old woman who has smoked and drank her whole long life... Amazing that she has lasted so long

Cheers..

Last edited by FabricGATOR; 10-01-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:47 PM
NoDLon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
Are you still here? Did you get it figured out? Do tell

The Throttle body (the part that electronically connects the gas pedal to the engine air valve (speed control) should be cleaned regularly.
The spark plugs should be changed (copper) every 30,000 miles.,
so wow, if you have never done any thing to the motor and you made it 300k then wow.

No codes,

Try to recalibrate the gas pedal first.

I think you put the pedal to the floor, turn on the key, slowly let your foot up and then turn off the key (all without cranking the starter) BUT, google or YouTube to make sure my instruction is correct

Please report what you find and how you fix your truck.
Your truck is special to me like the 108 year old woman who has smoked and drank her whole long life... Amazing that she has lasted so long

Cheers..
Throttle body fairly new, there was nothing wrong with old one just decided one day to put a new one so I swapped it and still does the same. Not really sure how many miles on these plugs and wires but that is probably going to be next to be swapped. Just frustrated there are now codes being plugs are electrical. Been advised by several that its the plugs. Just been putting it off. I will update. Motor still feels strong oil pan gasket has small leak don't think the engine is burning oil.

Old 10-01-2023, 08:41 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Meh, yes plugs are electrical, and yes they should be replaced regularly, but it doesn't seem to me that is going to be your fix for the poor idle. I think you have 16 of them and and do get the copper Champions and stay away from all the others that someone is going to try to convince you are better.
** avoid the hazard of counterfeit spark plugs, Amazon is awash with precious metal knock offs. not worth the minor savings imho
Champion copper are not that expensive. and if money is a concern then at the very least change the 8 that are under the coil packs and leave the wired ones until next month.

When you swapped the TB, did you do the relearn calibration?

Even when you remove the factory TB to clean it and then put the very same one back on, you are required to do that relearn calibration on these vehicles. Toyota, no, but most other engines / vehicles, yes.

Do that first before you change anything and add unknown variable to the mix/

Quick Reply: Starts won't idle