3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burned oil smell from AC 2005 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 09:55 AM
amarknc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned oil smell from AC 2005 1500

My blower resistor died but Highspeed still worked. I replaced it with a new one the next day and now when I use the AC on the first 3 settings I get a bad smell, almost like exhaust or burned oil. But if I turn it on full speed the smell goes away. I am clueless to what is causing that. It won't smell if I just use the blower with no AC or heat that I can tell. Just the AC it seems. 2005 1500.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:17 AM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you looked under the hood for an oil leak? Unless you have the A/C on recirculate you're sucking in outside air.

Old 10-02-2023, 12:27 PM
amarknc

I didn't find any kind of oil leak and I have tried both recirculating and non and get the smell on the first 3 settings of the blower. The highest setting no smell at all. That's what is confusing me. This is a work truck and my boss told me that it doesn't effect the operation of the truck so don't worry about it so I can't bring it into a shop. It is annoying that I have to use it full blast or I end up sucking in what ever that smell is.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:58 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by amarknc
I didn't find any kind of oil leak and I have tried both recirculating and non and get the smell on the first 3 settings of the blower. The highest setting no smell at all. That's what is confusing me. This is a work truck and my boss told me that it doesn't effect the operation of the truck so don't worry about it so I can't bring it into a shop. It is annoying that I have to use it full blast or I end up sucking in what ever that smell is.
High speed bypasses the resistor. Have you verified you have no debris inside the blower box where the resistor lives?

Old 10-03-2023, 07:52 AM
amarknc

Originally Posted by Prismatic
High speed bypasses the resistor. Have you verified you have no debris inside the blower box where the resistor lives?
I have not but thank you for clearing up the reason Highspeed doesn't give me that smell. it will narrow down my search.

Old 10-03-2023, 01:35 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When you have the 'smell' try to feel if the wiring at the resistor is getting hot or see melting wires.

Loose electrical connections there would create more resistance and would make the wires overheat?

You could also try to test by running the resistor without having it installed (for a short time as it is intentionally designed to be installed into the airstream to help remove heat (resistor cooling))

Did you (or the boss) buy a cheap part online or from a discount auto parts? Maybe a defect?

Quick Reply: Burned oil smell from AC 2005 1500