3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlights flicker and turn off randomly. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 06:48 PM
Rnog23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights flicker and turn off randomly. Please help

Hello out there.
I have a 2003 Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4 quadcab here in Texas. I've got ~132,000 miles and I've owned it about 4 years.

when I first started driving it I used the headlights like normal, but I noticed the fog lamps did not illuminate. I found that there was no fog lamp relay installed. A few weeks later I noticed both of my low beams flicker off and on a few times and then they stayed off. I immediately cycled the headlight switch to 'Off' then 'On' and the headlights were back on. The headlights performed fine for a few more weeks, then they did the same thing for a few successive nights. I then replaced the Headlight control switch hoping for an easy fix. I also ordered a fog lamp relay, but it would not arrive until a few days later.

A day or so later the lights did the same thing, but the headlights kept flickering though I cycled the switch. So I pulled the switch toward me as though turning on the fog lamps and the headlights started working normally. A few days later the fog lamp relay arrived. I put in the relay and the fog lights work.

Since then the headlight switch doesn't illuminate the lights it's supposed to always. And I tried reinstalling the original headlight switch, but it acts the same as the new one...

If I switch to 'parking lights' ON, the parking lights and headlights turn ON...if I pull out the switch to 'Fog Lights' ON while switch still set to 'parking lights' ON, the parking lights stay ON, but headlights turn OFF and fog lights turn ON.

If I switch to 'fog lights' OFF and 'headlights' ON, the parking lights stay ON, fog lights turn ON, and the headlights turn OFF.
While still switched to 'headlights' ON if I pull the switch outward to 'fog lights' ON, the headlights turn ON in addition to the parking lights and fog lights ON.

So I drive with the switch set to 'headlights' ON with the 'fog lights' in ON position. And I still regularly have the headlights flicker off and on and sometimes even the fog lights and headlights turn off at the same time which is terrible when I'm driving down a dark highway.

I'm thinking the FCM is faulty or possibly the fuse box. I hadn't read any other posts with all of these issues, so I was hoping somebody might have some insight. It's an intermittent problem, so it's been somewhat difficult for me to diagnose.
Thanks
Edit

Quick Reply: Headlights flicker and turn off randomly. Please help