3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

when rammed from Behind, Ram does poorly

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Zachtk8702
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: when rammed from Behind, Ram does poorly

If I got rammed in the rear end I would do poorly too

Old 01-18-2006, 04:58 AM
zelatore

ORIGINAL: mikahb

I absolutely feel safe with my wife and 2 daughters in my truck. I'd much rather be rear-ended in a 7000lb truck than in a Chevy Cobalt (which got a good grade) any day of the week - ratings be damned!

<rant on>
True, you would likely be 'safer' in the 7000 lb truck in an accident.

The thing most SUV buyers forget is that they would be safer avoiding the accident all together. Let's face it - any 7000 lb vehicle is going to brake, accalerate, and handle like crap compared to something lighter. The above mentioned Mini, for example, would have a much easier time avoiding an accedent than any of our trucks.

I don't know how many times I've had this argument with people - even my boss with his Escalade can't understand how his huge station wagon is less safe than any number of smaller, more nimble cars on the road.

Then there is the added damage inflicted upon the vehichle you hit with that 7000 lbs.

Of course, there is one huge flaw in my logic here....I'm assuming the average american drive is awake and alert enough to make even a half-hearted attempt to avoid an accident. As a guy who rides a motorcycle 10-15,000 miles a year in CA (land of fruits and nuts don't you know...) that does seem pretty optimistic.

But all the same, out of everything in my sig. line below I'd rate the A4 safest, followed by the Speed Triple. The trucks, even the L, handle for crap. I'd hate to think about an emergency avoidence manuver in either of them.

NOTE: I'm mainly b!itching about SUVs here instead of trucks. Trucks are ususally bought because people need them. SUVs are usually bought because the owner needed a wagon or mini-van, but his ego couldn't take it. Myself, I'd much rather have a nice wagon (A4 Avant, 3 or 5 series, etc) than vehicle that provided neither sport nor utility.

<rant off>

Old 01-18-2006, 01:29 PM
luvthehemi

Also got blasted from behind, poor lady was cruisin at about 50 in her 95 corolla, I was moving at about 5. Hit dead center on her hood, hitch went through the rad., and right into the front of the block. Still have oil and coolant on the ball. Glad I decided on the twenties (a little extra clearance). Replace bumper and bent hitch. No whiplash, and I'll take my truck over any subaru or jeep.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:26 PM
wreckless123
Rookie

Anybody else notice that all the SUV/Trucks that did poorly have full frames and those that did well are unibody construction.. Thanks, but I will take my full frame. In any other type of higher speed, more serious collisons, I am willing to bet a truck with a full frame will win that war..

Old 01-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Stillborn
Veteran

My dad was stopped at a light in his work truck [Ram 2500], and a lady in a Caviler nailed him from behind. Her car was folded up to the windshield, his needed a bit of body work [she hit him at like a 45, to the back.. so half on the bumper, half at the wheel] She dented his truck a bit.. but her car was a write off. My dad ended up giving her a lift to the closest phone booth so she could call her husband. Apparently, another guy forced her to switch lanes in a Ford F150, so she had to swerve to not get crushed by him.. and ended up rear ending my dad. He didn't even feel it, he said he just heard a loud crunching noise.Anyways, point of the story. Caviler was written off, Ram needed [I think 1100$] or work, and thats because she missed the bumper.

Edit: Also, I'd like to point out. I'd rather have a bed between me and the car rear ending me, than nothing at all. If your going to get hit by another truck, it's nice to know that you have the bed to take the impact, sure it may write off your truck, but it wont write off your life.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:06 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I say, lets test one of their "5 star frontal crash rated" cars against the rear end of my truck - lets see who has the higher medical bills

While they are having flashbacks of the dealer telling them, "This car received a 5 star crash rating" my bumper is eye level with them. Not a good situation to be in.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Posted on Thu, Jan. 19, 2006
Bay Area Extra

WATSONVILLE

Coroner identifies girl killed in weekend accident; search on for other vehicle's driver

The 14-year-old girl killed in a car crash early Saturday morning in Sunnyvale has been identified as Laura Marin of Watsonville, the Santa Clara County Coroner's Office said.

Laura was sitting in the back seat of a Honda Civic driven by Enrique Espinoza, 19, around 2:15 a.m. Saturday. According to the California Highway Patrol, Espinoza was attempting to make a left turn from southbound Highway 101 to northbound Lawrence Expressway when a Dodge Ram pickup struck the left rear side of the Civic, killing Laura.

Espinoza, of Sunnyvale, was arrested on charges of driving under the influence, child endangerment and vehicular manslaughter.

Two other passengers, a 26-year-old woman sitting in the front seat and a 14-year-old girl sitting in the right rear seat, were injured in the crash. It is unknown whether Espinoza or the pickup's driver ran a red light and caused the crash, CHP officer Brandon Straw said. The pickup's driver fled the scene and still has not been found.

The pickup truck was reported stolen later Saturday morning after its registered owner woke up and discovered it was missing from his driveway, Straw said. The truck was recovered, and CHP investigators are taking fingerprints and looking for other signs of who was driving, Straw said.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Stillborn
Veteran

Thats sad.. but it proves the point. Ram > Car

Old 01-19-2006, 03:36 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Stillborn

Thats sad.. but it proves the point. Ram > Car
So true

Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 PM
cbrewer954
Professional

The whiplash comes from the head restraint not being properly positioned. If it sits at the neck level, you most likely will end up with whiplash. My '03 1500 4X4 has adjustable restraints. I have mine raised so that the back of my head hits the rest. That's what will prevent major injury.

Quick Reply: when rammed from Behind, Ram does poorly