3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What rear axle for 2002 4x2 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM
DutchRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What rear axle for 2002 4x2 4.7L

Hello, I'm from the Netherlands. Recently my car started to leak oil from the rear differential, or how u call it. Now its a metal slush. So I'm searching to swap it from a junkyard truck. I was wondering if I can use the one of a 4x4 ? According to my vin I have a 3.55 ratio.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 586 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by DutchRam
Hello, I'm from the Netherlands. Recently my car started to leak oil from the rear differential, or how u call it. Now its a metal slush. So I'm searching to swap it from a junkyard truck. I was wondering if I can use the one of a 4x4 ? According to my vin I have a 3.55 ratio.

There should be a sticker in the door, either on the door itself, but usually on the door jamb, that tells you what your rear axle is. If you can find a rear axle from the same generation truck, it should work fine. If the ratio is different, your speedometer will be off though. There should be a metal tag on one of the bolt saying what ratio it is. It may say 3.5.

Has your rear failed completely?

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
DutchRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
There should be a sticker in the door, either on the door itself, but usually on the door jamb, that tells you what your rear axle is. If you can find a rear axle from the same generation truck, it should work fine. If the ratio is different, your speedometer will be off though. There should be a metal tag on one of the bolt saying what ratio it is. It may say 3.5.

Has your rear failed completely?
Thank for the reply ! It got stuck entirely and after it cooled down it still works but my own garage and a 2nd opinion said it was better and cheaper to replace the whole axle itself. To be more clear it started leaking oil at the pinion seal.

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 586 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by DutchRam
Thank for the reply ! It got stuck entirely and after it cooled down it still works but my own garage and a 2nd opinion said it was better and cheaper to replace the whole axle itself. To be more clear it started leaking oil at the pinion seal.

It sounds like you ran it out of oil and under load. Start looking for another axle. As a stop gap ONLY, while you look for another axle, put some large ceramic magnets on the differential cover and make sure it's got good gear oil in it. The magnets will collect the metal pieces in your axle. Those will be all through the gears, axle shaft tubes and so on. Swapping a different rear end will save you from having to clean all that out. Eventually your rear end is going to lock up completely. 2 or 4 wheel drive should fit and you just need to find one with the same gear ratio as well as rear brakes.

Old Today, 01:26 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The bump stops are different between the 4x4 and 2wd I believe, but they'll work just fine.

Quick Reply: What rear axle for 2002 4x2 4.7L