3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OK...a few questions i conjured up...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 05:27 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK...a few questions i conjured up...

I was wondering a few things about our trucks...

1) if the Titan has a better set of gears and can take us off the line(?)...will that superchips flashpaq programmer end up giving us about the same (as far as harder shifting and all that?)

2) will it hurt the transmission/engine to put the tow/haul on when taking off and then when it shifts to second (with the gas floored) taking it off...as in will it hurt the truck, or will it really help with take-offs?

3) what have y'all found to be the best rpm to get up to when stopped before taking off? 1200ish?

Thanks for any help...you are all swell guys!

[IMG]local://upfiles/25949/E5B4626C5AE941AAB86BDDA33A1C7333.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2006, 05:49 AM
GotHemi?
Professional
Default RE: OK...a few questions i conjured up...

As far as getting a good launch I just put it in neutral, rev it as high as it will go and when the light turns green I drop it into drive.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:16 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

do you plan on keeping your truck very long? or you have enough $$$ to replace that tranny of yours?

Old 01-30-2006, 11:44 AM
RedSS454
Veteran

ORIGINAL: GotHemi?

As far as getting a good launch I just put it in neutral, rev it as high as it will go and when the light turns green I drop it into drive.

Ha! Boy are you in for a "big bang". An automatic tranny is not like a stick. A nuetral dump and popping the clutch are two different things. Autos are not made to take that abuse as well as sticks in stock form.

On a related note, my friend is a Dodge tech. He said he had a guy buy a brand new Magnum with a Hemi. Came into the shop with a blown tranny right after he drove it off the lot. They scanned the computer, found out what his RPM's and gear he was in right before the trans blew. 5K in Neutral and dumped it. Not covered under warranty.

1) The programmer I don't know much about. If you want to learn how to race it, shift it manually. You have to play with it a little to find out when to shift, as there is a little bit of lag in the shifts. But, I don't like playing with the electronics in a car too much, so thats just my $.02. Someone here may give you some more help.

2) All the tow haul mode does is firm up the shifts a little. Probably won't give you a drastic edge in a race as some people believe.

3) That you have to play with on your own. Different trucks/cars like different things. There are also alot of factors that play into it. Tire ware, road surface etc. Just power-brake just until you feel the suspension load up. Give it another 100-200 RPM, and when you see the other side of the light go yellow, give it another few hundred, but don't let the tires break loose. Light goes green, hammer the gas and let off the brake. Rev it to about 5300 and shift second. That will make the shift point around 5700. Anymore and you might see the rev limiter. Repeat in second-drive.

Chris

Old 01-31-2006, 10:32 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran

um, anyone else?

Old 02-01-2006, 04:07 AM
stykthyn
Professional

learn how to shift it and give it a buck shot of NOS

Quick Reply: OK...a few questions i conjured up...